wireless external harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anamznazn, Apr 25, 2007.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I currently have a USB external HD (notebook size) and it's very inconvenient to keep switching between my desktop and laptop with it. What's the easier way to make this harddrive wireless?

(If it's some kind of router w/ a USB port, can you recommend any?)

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The new Airport Extreme should do what you're looking for...

3. anamznazn thread starter macrumors regular

anamznazn

Any other routers besides Airport Extreme? I'm looking for something less expensive. To me, it's "just" a router. :)

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

The reason it costs more than "regular" routers is because it allows you to do things like share drives and printers. If you want another router that has similar functionality it will likely be pretty close to the same cost.

5. absurdio macrumors 6502

Perhaps this is too obvious to even ask, but...
    If I store a whole bunch of media (music, tv shows, movies, and so on) on my external harddrive and I hook up the external harddrive to one of the new Airport Extreme routers, will I be able to watch and/or listen to that media on my MacBook Pro wirelessly?

If that's how this works, that's amazing. That'd let me keep my MBP's harddrive comparatively empty, while still having instant access (at least while I'm at home) to massive amounts of media.

To complicate things, though: 1) I don't know anything about streaming/wireless technology. Is the connection between basestation and MBP really fast enough that I can watch things from the external hd on my MBP without it getting all laggy and glitchy? And 2) My internet connection in my apartment is shared by a lot of people. That makes the internet pretty slow. Would that effect the quality or watch/listenability of the media being sent to my MBP?

Or am I misunderstanding everything?
    Help?

[Edit: Also, is it really just USB 1.0? The product page doesn't specify that it's 2.0, and that worries me. I have one of the LaCie tripple interface HDs, meaning i could be using Firewire 400, 800, or USB 1 or 2. But I'd really rather not be using the slowest of those connection methods if i can avoid it.]

6. kidzdoc macrumors newbie

Yes, you are correct. I currently have my backed-up DVD collection and iTunes music library stored on my external HD connected to my Airport Extreme. I can watch movies or listen to music wirelessly from my MBP without any lags or pauses. Very nice! :D

7. absurdio macrumors 6502

That's amazing. I love technology. Now I've just gotta round up the $180 for the Airport Extreme, and I'll have a nice, empty harddrive in my MBP again. Thanks, fella. Those were exactly the words I needed to hear. =)