Wireless external storage help with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Radiating, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

I have a laptop connected to wireless through an wirelesss bridge, which bridges an ASUS RT-N56U router.

I just bought a new Apple Time Capsule 2TB.

My end goal is simply to have internet access and a shiny new wireless harddrive folder on my laptop.

I know there is some combination of these products that will yield what I want by I can't figure out how to connect everything. Help?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ideally the Time Capsule should just replace both the router and the wireless bridge. (I read this as a Wireless Access Point, please clarify if that is not the case).

B

3. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Ideally that would be the case, but I need to use a wireless extender because the source of my internet is so far away from my office.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Once upon a time I had a similar setup.

I actually used an Airport Extreme as a WAP behind my FiOS provided router with a Time Capsule in a remote part of the house with several devices connected to it by wired networking.

Currently I still use the Airport Extreme in the same way, but eliminated the Time Capsule.

Please describe in more detail what is where and how they need to connect.

B

5. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I have a ASUS RT-N56U router, and I also have an Amped Wireless 150N repeater. I also have an HP laptop.

Basically I only have 2 simple needs:

1: Access the time capsule from my notebook
    2: Access secured internet from my notebook

I figure I can either use the time capsule to replace the repeater or the router, but I'm not sure which is best.

I don't use the router itself for internet at all so this should make it a lot easier.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Now I'm really confused, as I don't understand how to satisfy #2.

Where does the internet come in to your network? Do you have other firewalls, cable modems, etc...

I'd start by simply replacing the router with your Time Capsule, and keep the extender/repeater if range is inadequate.

B