Wireless Fax with dedicated fax line. Does this exist.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikehalloran, Nov 13, 2018.

1. mikehalloran macrumors 6502

Ok,

Like many, my all-in-one has fax capabilities. I know how to use it over the internet through my Mac. That's not the issue.

Because I sometimes need to send/receive faxes with parts of the country where internet fax doesn't work (yes, that does exist) or with people using old machines that don't support modern protocols, I must maintain a land line for fax.

My wife likes to roll my all-in-one into her office for scanning projects. No problem there as I can still print and scan but the fax line has to be disconnected when she does.

I'd like to find a fax server that sits at the end of the phone line and lets us send/receive without the printer being tethered to the cord. It shouldn't make a difference but I have a Brother MFC-J6935DW

Everything else is possible including software updates wirelessly but wireless fax to a dedicated phone line...

I can't find anything—does it exist?

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

Fax - now that's a word I haven't heard in a long time...

For many years I managed a group of servers running the ZetaFax software from Equisys. I'm sure they have personal or small-business propositions that could provide you with a useful flow centered around your regular email client. Today they even have some kind of cloud solution that could let you avoid having to deal with the Hell-on-Earth that is dedicated fax hardware and SIP (non-) standards.

Effectively you'd receive faxes from the fax server/service to your email client, and send mail (from your own mail client, or from your scanner) to the fax server, which in turn would convert the scanned file to a fax image file, and send it to the intended recipient.

3. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

Are you making this too complicated? Keep your current fax and buy a second scanner/copier.

4. mikehalloran thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have that and it's too complicated. I have my reasons for wanting to reduce the number of all-in-ones.

5. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

6. mikehalloran thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a great idea. Unfortunately, one that I can't use. My house was built in 1960 and is 2-wire/no ground throughout.

I may just get a dedicated fax machine for my office with a built in laser printer. I had forgotten that those were still being made. Not the solution I was looking for but it does solve the problem.