Wireless file sharing & email questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nhcowboy1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Okay, I have a couple of pretty basic questions . . . .

First, I'm trying to transfer an application from my mini to my pb wirelessly. I gave the pb my admin password so that it could get in, and it's there now, quietly copying away. I'm just wondering - does my mini know what's going on? Shouldn't there be some kind of alert somewhere letting me know that someone pretending to be me is stealing our stuff? Okay, maybe it's a weird question . . . I just have never done anything like this before.

Second (and yes, I know this is kind of dumb question), what do I use for an email server when I'm accessing the internet wirelessly from some remote location? I've been using some web page that I log onto and it allows me to send email. It works . . . uhhhh . .. most of the time. But the hundreds of thousands of people sitting in internet cafes somewhere can't all be using that same website . . . . so what are they doing that I'm clueless about?

Sheesh, the 21st century is tricky sometimes . . . .

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As long as you password protected your local network, all should be fine!

I have ATT broadband at home and I can access my mail directly through Mail when I'm at most wifi hotspots. However, I also have a webhost that I have my main email address with and many wifi networks don't like it because I have to use port 25. In that case I'm forced to open up Safari and use the web based email portal and it works fine.

So, you can try using Mail, it might work or it might not. I'll bet that a lot of people are also using web portals to access their mail as well especially those with Google and Yahoo email addresses.

3. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugg -

No, sorry - I didn't explain myself well. I know there's no one other than me trying to access my mini. What I'm wondering is whether there shouldn't be some indication somewhere on the mini that someone (anyone - and in this case me) is trying to access it. Or should it just sit there quietly and allow itself to be copied?

And, about the email thing. I'm going to need you to explain that a lot more slowly . . . . you lost me completely! I can tell you what I'm starting with: I have a dialup email account (which I presumably can NOT access wirelessly) and I have a DSL line through my telephone company. Are you saying there's some way I can access the DSL line when I'm not home? I don't get it . . . .

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Since it's a closed network, and you put in the required password, your computer isn't going to question anything. I've never been on an open network so I don't know how that would work.

Ah, about the email.

How do you access your email at home? With Apple's Mail program or with a web browser?

Have you tried using Apple's Mail program to send and receive email when you're at a wifi hotspot?

You won't be able to access the actual DSL line or the dial up account but if both your dial up and your DSL providers offer web based email access that's how you can access them at a wifi hotspot if Apple's Mail program doesn't work.