Wireless file transfer from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aurevoir, Dec 27, 2008.

1. aurevoir macrumors newbie

I recently got a new macbook (yay) and there's a file on my PC that I wish to transfer to my macbook. Normally I would just transfer using my usb stick, but it won't fit on it. So I'm trying to use my wireless network to transfer the file to my macbook.

I've got as far as connecting to my server and then it asks for my Vista login details, which I type in. Then it says 'A volume failed to mount. The volume "SARAH-PC/" could not be mounted.'

I've enabled file and folder sharing on both computers. I even tried to drag the file from my pc into my mac's public folder, but apparently I don't have permissions to do so!

I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong here, so help would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: apologies, I think this should be in the 'Mac Basics and Help' section! I have too many tabs open, very confusing.

2. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

How i share files between my desktop pc and my Blackbook is i setup a particular folder on my destop PC just for sharing. The folder can be anywhere, and named whatever. Just right click and then in the 'Sharing' tab turn on sharing. then when your Mac and pc are connected to the same wireless you should see your pc in the left hand sidebar under shared. and then its just drag from that shared folder and drop to where you want it on your Mac. Hope that helps. :)

3. aurevoir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! I'll have to try it that way in the future.
    I managed to access my mac's public folder from my pc, and I'm copying the file into that now. Seems to be alright now. Minor panic over :)

4. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Cool. Glad you got it going. How did you set up yours? Might be more effcient than my setup....