Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prg909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Calgary, AB, Canada
Hi everyone...

I have an AirPort Extreme which I have configured to run a wireless N network, as the majority of my peripherals can handle it. I find everything works much better when I configure the network to run over 5Ghz.

In doing so, the few older peripherals I have (such as my iPod Touch) with can only run on a G network no longer work. To remedy, I was thinking of buying an AirPort Express and setting it to run a G network.

I've checked a few places and can't tell if it's possible to run my N network through the Extreme and a G network over the Express at the same time. Ideally I want them to be on the same network so I can use the Remote App on the iPod to control my AppleTV and whatnot.

Thanks very much!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't see why not. You'll want to configure the Extreme to act as the router, with the Express acting as an access point (while allowing the Extreme to handle all of the routing). ...If I remember correctly, this in known as "Bridge mode" and can be selected in the Airport Utility.

You'll also want to make sure they're operating with different SSIDs on different channels.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
You can run simultaneous G and N networks with a single Airport router. However, running G will degrade your N throughput and range. It is better to broadcast the G and N networks separately with two routers, like you suggested.

Probably the thing to do is connect the Express into the N-router LAN port (ethernet) and set up the Express in Bridge Mode. I'm not sure is this creates two discrete networks or a single network for both N and G networks. There might also be a way to set up the N-only router as a WDS base station, and then set up the Express as a dual-band N and G WDS relay station.

Designing AirPort Networks - Apple support document, pg 48 and 49 has some useful info.

Good Luck! I've always found setting up AirPort networks a fun challenge.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
EricNau is correct. You want to set up your Express in Bridge Mode. The link that rikers_mailbox provided will give you all the information you need to set it up that way. As for rikers_mailbox's concern, they will be two discrete SSIDs, but it will essentially be on the same network. They will both be on the same subnet, and only the Extreme will handle DHCP, no matter which access point you join. All computers/clients will be able to see and connect with each other. My only advice is to have two unique SSIDs so you know which network you are joining (eg, Network-N and Network-G). I wouldn't recommend setting up a WDS if you plan on keeping the Express close to your Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.