Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So I have a network running a Linksys B&G WRT54G router on a ComCast Cable internet connection. I have an iBook G4 (2005) and a B/W G3/400 connected to it.

The iBook is using the built-in Airport Extreme and the G3 is using a valid Belkin PCI card (model: FD57000) 802.11G card.

So the G3 is just chillin' downloading torrents and what not, but I noticed the speeds aren't that great and my iBook is slowed waaay down on just basic web browsing. I reboot the G3 and all of a sudden the iBook speeds way up. Once the G3 is back online everything is slow again. I've tried many settings and still am not satisfied yet (using the iBook on the same torrents as the G3 the speeds are insanely higher).

What is going on here?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The computer downloading torrents is hogging all available bandwidth on your cable connection, thus, anything else such as your iBook is extremely slow at accessing web sites because it doesn't have any bandwidth.

If it's not bandwidth, then the G3 may have too many connections open, not leaving much for the iBook. Cheap home routers like the one you have can't handle a ton of simultaneous open TCP connections. And with BitTorrent, you'll often times have open connections to peers even if they're not sending you anything

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You have a point YG, but the bandwidth is not being hogged.

Otherwise the ports all open and whatnot on the G3 still downloads poorly when the iBook is off. Yet when the G3 is off and the iBook is torrenting the speeds are nearly 5x faster.

Unfortunetely I don't think the that is the problem/solution.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What about simultaneous connections though? Try using the same torrent program with identical settings on both machines.

And when you say the iBook is 5x faster, are we talking about the same torrent here? You're not always going to get fast speeds on torrents

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I think I've narrowed down the problem to the port forwarding I was using. I had set the Port range, and the port forwarding and something wasn't happy there. As of now my VNC from work to the G3 works MUCH better and the all secondary computers (from the G3) are internetting just fine.

I am still skeptical that everything is "normal" but it has improved.

Another thing I've thought is that the G3 is a clone of my iBook account and perhaps I should just go ahead and make a new Admin Account on the G3. I keep thinking there is some redundant setting on both machines that is confusing the router/network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.