Wireless G to N.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Antowns, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Antowns macrumors member

Hi,

Been looking at this router. My transfer speeds are ridiculous at home, I'm simply on the edge of the coverage and theres no way to move the router anywhere else. Can anyone take a look at this router and confirm that its decent enough to extend my range and provide a better transfer speed between my macs. I can't buy a base station / express as my parents are a bit concerned about me having all my things plugged in (electricity bills) and its my understanding the base station still requires a modem.

D-Link DIR-655 is the router I intend on purchasing, the router i'm using at the minute is a Wireless-G ST780WL from Thompson (o2 router). I know the transfer speeds are higher on Draft-N based routers but will the fact I'm on the edge of my wireless G coverage make the same situation occur with the new router.

Heres a link to the router:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DIR-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280426382&sr=8-1

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have a pair of D-Link DIR-635s and I've been very happy with them. That should be even better. It's located 3 floors below my room and no issues with connection. The other one is used in different apartment.

3. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

This is the router I have been looking at too...I'm using a 802.11g router that my dad got atleast 3 years ago! It's working absolutely fine despite being locked in a cupboard downstairs. Getting 9.7mbps through concrete walls, even though my internet connection is only 10mbps. I would like to upgrade to 802.11n now that all my devices are N compatible (macbook/ipad/iphone) but I might just wait till my 802.11g gives up. It's still going strong :)

but yeah naturally N over G will provide greater range and speeds :) I say go for it, try it out. If it works...great, if not you can always return it :)

4. Antowns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, your reply has helped me loads on deciding as in fact, my rooms in the attic and the router is on the ground floor 2 floors down. I'll see about getting one, the 11 year warranty looks attractive too.

@Billy Yeah the only reason I'm upgrading is I tried transferring a large file over to my girlfriends Macbook Pro (7GB) and it took 2 hours. The Macbooks were sitting next to each other on my desk so my only concern is the distance they were both sitting from the router.

Just from my iMac these are the ping results I'm receiving: