Wireless G with WPA encryption on OS 9.2.2

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Dear OS 9 stalwarts,

I want to be able to use OS 9 as the main operating system on my TiBook 1Ghz, and so far it's treating me well in every way except one: my PCMCIA wireless adapter, a Belkin F5D7010 802.11g (v1 Broadcom) card, will not connect to modern wireless networks with password encryption. It recognizes them with no problem, it's actually connecting that's the issue. I don't need to do extensive web browsing, but it would be nice to be able to look something up from time to time while writing. Does anyone know a solution for this? Am I stuck with exclusively WEP or non-encrypted networks?

Note: the Belkin card works just like an Airport card in Tiger (albeit with wireless G speeds), with plug-and-play connectivity.

Thanks again for all the help!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My son's original Airport card in his TiBook (Leopard, 10.5.8) will do WPA. But the encryption on my router has to be TKIP. If I set it to AES he cannot connect.

If you can change that setting in your router, may be worth a try.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

OS 9 never had any drivers for WPA networks made publicly available.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Also, you could get a WiFi->Ethernet adaptor to maintain wireless capabilities on OS 9. Plus, its a bit faster than an AirPort card. Also, you are very lucky to have a 1GHz TiBook *mops drool*.

5. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

I got one of these to hook up to my TiBook or my Sawtooth running OS 9

Wireless-N Universal Media Connector
    [​IMG]

Works great, better than trying to hack a router for DDWRT and making it into a wireless bridge.