Wireless hard drive storage

Morrius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Could anyone out there recommend a way to connect an external hard drive to my network so my laptop can connect to it without having to be plugged into it by USB? My Westell wireless router has a USB port in it, but just plugging in my current USB drive didn't seem to do anything.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Could anyone out there recommend a way to connect an external hard drive to my network so my laptop can connect to it without having to be plugged into it by USB? My Westell wireless router has a USB port in it, but just plugging in my current USB drive didn't seem to do anything.
If you have a Mac, you will have to connect to the hard drive in Finder after you plug it in to your router. It won't automatically show up as it would if you plugged it in through USB.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I can recommend you to take a look at the Western Digital My Book Live. It's a network drive that you connect to your router with an ethernet cable.

Morrius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
If you have a Mac, you will have to connect to the hard drive in Finder after you plug it in to your router. It won't automatically show up as it would if you plugged it in through USB.
How do I do that?