Wireless hard drive streaming via apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 77oliver, Mar 20, 2014.

1. 77oliver macrumors newbie

Hello

I am trying to devise a wireless home music network but struggling to get my head a round it.

I want to...

Store my music on a hard drive (pref. wireless) or a media server or I am open to suggestions on storage solutions

Control it on my ipad mini

Play it on my stereo (which will be connected to an airport express), possibly a Sonos type speaker and possibly other devices in the future

Is this possible - maybe with the use of Apple TV? and if so how would the set up be?

I really want a simple set up!

Thanks

OLiver.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Setup a computer with lots of storage (windows or mac). Run iTunes at start up. Dump all music into iTunes (only have to do the first time). Then you can control iTunes on the computer with the "Remote" app by Apple running on any iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iTouch). You can even tell the Remote App what Airport Express or AppleTV you want to play it on in your house (heck you have it output to MULTIPLE AppleTV's and Airport Express's at the same time).

Simple. It's what we do with Music AND vidoes at my house.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you have a large collection of media as I do ( 4TB+ and growing) I have them stored on a 4TB Seagate USB 3 HDD and on my Pegasus R4 ( for backups)

I use Air Video Server ( from the app store) which allows me to stream any of them directly to both my ATV's wireless and allows for optimisation as well.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Like paulrbeers said, you need a computer, with iTunes running, to run your storages. Then you can add Apple TVs or AirPlay speakers in places you want, and controlling everything with your Mac, iPad or iPhone.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

A computer running iTunes is best. Then use the Remote app to play the music on it and out to Airplay devices.

iTunes Match even better. AppleTV could then access your playlists and musics directly.

A network attached storage that has a builtin DLNA server can also work. You can use the app AcePlayer, to browse to it, and play content to Airplay devices. Video to AppleTV and music to Airport Express, and it can transcode. But it's not near as elegant as the other two options.

6. 77oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

What are the Seagates hooked upto?

----------

Excluding the ipad mini I only have a beat up laptop so wanted to avoid having by music on it and running all of the time.

Why wouldn't a dlna server be as elegant?

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Because then the video has to play thru your iPad since an Appletv can't play directly from a do a server. Running iTunes means all your iPad is doing is telling iTunes to play a file on the Appletv. Also it leaves your iPad free to be used for other things (surfing the net, checking email, etc).

8. 77oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. So if I were to buy a Mac mini and use this as the media server I could then...

Store my music on the Mac mini
    Use my ipad mini as a controller
    Play the music around the house using airport expresses

Would I need Apple TV? Or would the ipad mini and Mac mini talk without it?

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

"Thanks for your help. So if I were to buy a Mac mini and use this as the media server I could then...

Store my music on the Mac mini & external drives connected to mini.
    Use my ipad mini as a controller
    Play the music around the house using airport expresses, or AirPlay speakers.

Would I need Apple TV? Or would the ipad mini and Mac mini talk without it? Your iPad mini and Mac mini will talk to each others just fine (through Home Sharing or/and other apps). You don't need Apple TV unless you want to."

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45