Wireless hard drive to use with Time Machine (and other questions)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gavstephenson, Mar 30, 2010.

1. gavstephenson macrumors member

Hi everybody,

I just can't figure this out for myself. I've tried. And failed, miserably.

I have a 27" iMac. I'm connected to the internet wirelessly via a O2 Wireless Box II.

I need to buy an external hard drive on which to back up my data. I want to use it with Time Machine.

Ideally I'd like the external hard drive to work wirelessly. Is there such a thing (apart from Time Capsule)?

I was thinking about buying a Time Capsule. However, I only have one computer (no file, etc. sharing required here), so maybe I would be wasting my money??

Could the Time Capsule replace my O2 wireless box II or would I still need the O2 wireless box II to connect to the internet? (Sorry, I don't understand about 'routers' and 'modems'.)

I'm in such a muddle. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gav

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I have an iomega Home Network Hard Drive 1TB, and it's time machine compatible. I can backup to it wirelessly no problems, it's as slow as a Time Capsule, but at least I know it's more reliable lol ... Also, if I wanted to put a 2TB drive later, it's a matter of taking two screws out, and putting a new drive in. :D

3. gavstephenson thread starter macrumors member

Thanks fehhkk. So, I would just plug the wireless hard drive into the power supply, configure with Time Machine and off I go??

4. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

I've never seen a NAS with inbuilt wi-fi, If your O2 Wireless Box II has ethernet ports on it, there are loads of NAS devices that support Time Machine, I use a 2TB WD My Book World Edition connected to my ADSL / wi-fi broadband router.

If you've only got one computer I'd buy a USB disk drive and connect it direct to your iMac, it will backup quicker than over wi-fi and be cheaper.

5. gavstephenson thread starter macrumors member

That's super information, thanks NogbadTheBad.

I've just checked the O2 Wireless Box II. It does have ethernet ports. I might take your advice and save money though. Although, I think I'd appreciate Firewire (than USB). Much faster, right?

Oh, how will I know the hard drive can connect to the O2 Wireless Box and work wirelessly? I mean, what will it say in the product description? Will it just say 'wireless' or something like that?

Many , many thanks!

6. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Search for NAS / Network attached storage & Apple Time Machine in the specifications.

It would connect over the wi-fi to the O2 box then via the Ethernet to the NAS.

USB2 = 480 Mbit/s, I'm not too sure what speed firewire is, but I'd say USB is more flexible.

LaCie do some nice looking external drives that wouldn't look out of place next to an iMac.

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

The Time Capsule is a clean solution but there seem to be many reports of them dying after 1.5 years or so. It's also pricey.

If you've got a USB port on your current hardware you could attach an inexpensive drive and do your Time Machine backups to it with some finagling. People seem to have varying degrees of luck with this approach and it's the way I went.

8. gavstephenson thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Such a help.

I'm starting to understand things. And I've more or less worked out what I want. I'm going to forget about the network, wireless stuff. But I do want a hard drive that does not need to be plugged into a power supply (just found out that is called 'bus-powered', right?). I also want lots of storage space. AT LEAST 500 GB.

Currently discovering that there is not many hard drives that have lots of space and are bus-powered. I'd LOVE the LaCie Little Big Disk Quadra... but I'm not rich.

9. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

10. cleaver macrumors newbie

NogbadTheBad, hope you're still reading this?!

I'm looking at getting the WD Ethernet Drive that you have. I've looked at their specs and videos and a USB drive can be attached to the drive. Do you think the following is possible:

1) attach the 1TB drive to my wireless router and store everyone's data on it so it can be accessed by the 3(!) computers we have in the house? I'm thinking maybe iTunes and iPhoto stuff, and certainly all other docs and files.

2) attach a seperate USB 1TB drive to the WD unit.

3) get Timemachine to back up to this 2nd drive, also wirelessly?

This is my perfect scenario, to have everything in one place, and all the backups in one place, in case one of those 2 discs fails.

I'd be interested to know if this would work.

Many thanks,

Adam

11. natewsmith macrumors regular

You'll more than likely like I had to do when time Machine first came out is do a little few commands from terminal to overwrite it and tell it to be able to use as a hard drive for Time Machine.

I only have 1 computer and I'm waiting till I can get enough money and then get a 2TB Time Machine.

12. natewsmith macrumors regular

Cleaver,

I had the 1TB WD MYBOOK WORLD the first edition when it came out. It was extremely LOUD! The fan sucked and the hard drives didn't last to long.

I know you'll be able to do 1 and 3 but when you add on the second drive it's just going to look like more added space unless they have updated some software I'm not aware of.

Nate