Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faintedlife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
I'm looking into purchasing an external hard drive (or internal with enclosure); 200-300 GB. I'd prefer to keep costs down too, obviously. However, I am curious if there are any wireless hard drives available and any recommendations if so that could fit what I am looking for? I mainly want to be able to access it wirelessly (bluetooth/airport/whathaveyou) and transfer files without the needs of a USB/firewire cable. If it means a speed drop, that's fine (especially after the main majority of the files are already transferred and I'm just doing small transfers). Are there any models out there and what would be a few recommendations to follow?

I'm currently using a Powerbook, fyi, though I'm switching to a Macbook Pro within a few months and due to transferring data from one to another, I'm seeking a hard drive to make the transition more smooth (and to be filled with music/photographs once that is done.)

-John

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Raven VII said:
What you might be looking for is a SAN drive. You can share a drive over a WiFi network, and it'll be essentially a wireless external harddrive.
I've never even heard of a SAN drive, is there a page somwhere with info on them?

Edit: Did you mean just your regular network drive enabled on a wireless network? That makes sense.. :eek:

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
faintedlife said:
I'm looking into purchasing an external hard drive (or internal with enclosure); 200-300 GB. I'd prefer to keep costs down too, obviously. However, I am curious if there are any wireless hard drives available and any recommendations if so that could fit what I am looking for? I mainly want to be able to access it wirelessly (bluetooth/airport/whathaveyou) and transfer files without the needs of a USB/firewire cable. If it means a speed drop, that's fine (especially after the main majority of the files are already transferred and I'm just doing small transfers). Are there any models out there and what would be a few recommendations to follow?

I'm currently using a Powerbook, fyi, though I'm switching to a Macbook Pro within a few months and due to transferring data from one to another, I'm seeking a hard drive to make the transition more smooth (and to be filled with music/photographs once that is done.)

-John

I seem to recall ASUS makes wi-fi enclosures for 2.5" laptop drives

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Here's an idea.

If you have some kind of wireless router, get a hard drive that has an ethernet port and plug the drive into the router.

Instant access. ;)

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
finally, someone asks about a wireless hard drive. i thought of this about 2 1/2 years ago. did a lot of research. i then decided to see if the idea was already patented. sadly, it was.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm sure once Wireless USB makes itself available we'll start seeing some good, wireless hard drives.

Right now, any network drive over WiFi would probably be too slow unless you used 802.11n

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bobber205 said:
If you have some kind of wireless router, get a hard drive that has an ethernet port and plug the drive into the router.
Or if you already have a USB2 external HDD, use something like the Linksys NSLU2 to attach it to your network. With the appropriate third party firmware you can even have the NSLU2 act as an iTunes server, without the limitations imposed by iTunes software...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.