Wireless harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KKStoklund, Dec 7, 2014.

1. KKStoklund macrumors newbie

KKStoklund

I'm pretty new to this topic so please bear with me on this.
    I'd like to purchase a harddrive that I can connect to my local network at home but also access through the internet. I want to store all sorts of files and be able to stream music and video files to my Mac, iPad, Android phone and Samsung smart tv.

I've been looking at Apple's Time Capsule but I have read that it is primarily used for time machine backups. I have no intention of using time machine, I just want the file sharing and streaming capabilities. I honestly just like the Time Capsule due to its minimalistic design, but I'm unsure if it is fit for the job and if it even supports non-apple devices.

What do I need to look for? Terms such as NAS, dlna, afp etc. keep popping up in searches but I don't really know what they mean.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

You'll want a NAS (network attached storage) of some kind. The time capsule won't be a robust enough solution. Synology offers some good products, which one you get depends on how much space you need and how much you want to spend.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

An NAS (Network Attached Storage) is a device which you connect to your network with numerous hard drives inside. It is usually connected via Ethernet to your router. Synology makes some great products in this regard.

What is your current wireless router? If it is older it may pay off to get a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme and accompanying USB hard drive. I have found the Time Capsule to be faster serving files from the internal hard drive than an Extreme over a USB drive. That being said, either should be fast enough.

If you have a nice router already, then just get a basic NAS. If you are in the market for a new router anyway, then the AirPort Time Capsule is a great basic NAS. You can use the hard drive on the Time Capsule for any files and is not limited to Time Machine backups.