Wireless Headphones, which ones to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I am interested in buying wireless headphones to work with my Macbook, but unsure where and what to look for...can anyone help?

I found a few
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRBT50-S...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260268546&sr=8-7

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/bluetooth-stereo-headphones-workswith.php

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S805...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260268546&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260268971&sr=8-37 :cool:

but if there are other ones, possibly less than 150...? not interested in having it work an iphone, or phone just with my itunes.

Do I need an adapter? :confused:

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

I have the S805 and they dont work. I get terrible crackling sound and the sounds even plays slower... I tried some fix I found on the official Apple forums (something about editing a bluetooth audio file that is created when you setup your headphones). Tried different settings but still got crackling sound or could not connect headphones at all.
    What sucks is that these have worked fine with 4 Windows laptops and work great with my iPhone...
    I know its not the hardware, because I have a netbook with OSX installed on it and I have the same problem in OSX, but not in Windows. I guess if I installed Windows on my MBP, my S805 would probably work...
    They where only 40$ on Ebay too...

3. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the warning.
    I am interested in the Sennheiser ones...but they went up in price since last night!!!! :mad:

4. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

does anyone know if the jaybirds headphones are good?
    they are 120..don't want to pay that much for something crappy.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I briefly tested the newest Jaybirds in-ear earphones. I wouldn't say they were bad for the price.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

IMHOP you're better off spending the same $$ on a better pair of wired headphones... you'll get better quality sound with out any interference...

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I can't agree more, but there are plenty that really want the lack of wires and are willing to pay more or sacrifice sound quality to get there.

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I have had a pair of the Sennheiser 130s for about a year. They are fine. Not great -- but just fine.

It's hard to go wrong with Sennheiser. They've been at it for a long time and they are a serious company.

Their newer line looks great, but it's pricey.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm a Shure guy myself, but I have to give credit where it's due. I was impressed with Sennheiser new active line, especially given the price. I tested 10 or so of their models at CES this year and when I asked a representative why the IE8 wasn't there, he said he wasn't sure. I asked him if they were going to replace it and he said "never."

10. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys,
    The main reason I am buying new headphones is because they had no wires.
    I wanted something that I could listen to my macbook, mp3 player or jogg without being tied down if you will. Personally my headphone jack cannot take the stress of me moving it so much.

Does anyone have Jaybirds, or Seinnheiser that can tell me if they really like them? I saw that the Seinnheiser model gets interference if a TV is on>?

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I can see why you'd want wireless headphones. But personally, I would stay away from wireless and go wired all the way. Much better price-performance-ratios to be had there. You really pay a premium for wireless.

If you want to go all-out-no-compromises on wireless headphones, you could always go for something like this. [​IMG]

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

$1k+!?

Why arent there more moderately priced, yet still decent ones?

There is no prosumer level that doesnt suck!?

13. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Sure there is, I just gave an extreme example.

By the way, headphones that cost over $1000 are not an exception. There are more than you'd think, and many of those are out-of-production models you can only by second hand now. The Sony MDR-R10, Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 and Sennheiser HE 90 are only three of them. Newer headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800, Grado PS1000, Stax SR-007MK2, Jerry Harvey Audio JH 13 and JH 16, Ultimate Ears UE 11 Pro and UE 18 Pro all cost well above the $1000 mark. The weird thing about those prices? Many people think those headphones are worth them. And that's all while still leaving out headphone amps. They, too, can easily run well over $1000.