wireless help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rorymilli, Apr 19, 2007.

1. rorymilli macrumors member

Hello There, I have an iMac G3 CRT running Panther and a Quicksilver 2002 running Tiger. I have recently bought airport cards for both machines and they both connect to my broadband box beautifully. I would like to be able to swap info. etc between them using the 'wireless' cards. instead of transfering things via my firewire drive. Can some one give me simple step by step instructions on how I can do this without messing up my broadband settings. I have tried clicking on the airport symbol in the menu bar and doing the 'create network' thing but I just loose my broadband connection and have to feed all the info. in again. Thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

If you make sure file sharing is selected in the system preferences on both.
    Then double click the HD icon to bring up a finder window.
    Click Network.
    The other computer name should appear. Then it's a case of typing in the password to get access to the whole lot, not just shared folder.

3. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I will try that this evening and let you know how I get on. Just one question - will it be my administrator password that the computer asks for? Also I have given both my computer's the same name (huge lack of imagination or what!!) do you think that it will cause a problem? Cheers.

4. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

Hello there, Right I've followed your instructions. When I get to the bit where I click on the hard drive icon I don't see 'network' in the list that appears in the finder window. If I use spotlight to search it gives me loads of things with the word 'network' and I haven't a clue which one I need. It obvoiusly will work if I can get my head around it as it has added a number 2 to the name one of my computers (so it knows that they are both there and have the same name). Here's hoping.... Thanks a lot

5. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

Latest update. Now I can't get onto the internet with my other computer, (my main Mac is still fine) I have tried to undo all the 'file sharing' etc but my airport icon on my second Mac is greyed out. It was working fine until I tried to do the network thing In Network (in System Preferences) it tells me that my Aiprot card is working but not connected to any network. I have tried twenty times to get it back on my Broadband internet setting but it just wont have it. Very frustrating. Thanks in advance for any help.