Wireless HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GuitarmanMCS, Mar 1, 2008.

1. GuitarmanMCS macrumors newbie

Ok everyone. You guys have helped me before, so I am asking for that same great help again. I recently purchased a new Netgear router so I can get on wireless with my MacBook.

My mother can get on with her 10.4 iBook G4. All of the other computers (PCs with ethernet) work. ...Sadly even my XP partition connects with no problems.

On 10.5 Leopard I get an error "An error occured when trying to join...". I cannot even setup the connection manually. In frustration and weariness, I wiped my harddrive, thinking I can start fresh. When I reinstalled 10.4 (..as I have to for 10.5 to install) my wireless connected. I reinstalled 10.5 thinking the problem was solved...and it came back.

Does anyone know what is going on??? I am so frustrated. Please...help.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you tried simple troubleshooting steps such as turning off the router, pulling the plug, waiting a bit, then rebooting the router and your mac?

i have a netgear wireless router and this seems to stop that error message from appearing and allowing me to connect.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

So you can connect in Tiger, but not after upgrading to Leopard?

Seems like it must be something in your network settings that is different after you have Leopard.

Are you using any security/encryption on the Router? if so, have you tried turning it off temporarily, just to see if you can connect from your Leopard machine?

There shouldn't be any reason why a Leopard machine can't connect if it can with Tiger...

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You would think so, but it really is the case. Leopard has some major wifi problems, including the one the OP sounds like he's encountering here. There are several open networks that I have access to and I have several different computers. All the machines can connect to these open networks that are running OS 10.3.9 or XP with the network prefs set to automatic, but as soon as you upgrade one of the machines to leopard then it cant connect to some of those networks no matter what you do.

It's definitely a leopard problem.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Makes me wonder then if ALL Leopard machines or just some of them? It's so hard to tell with some of these issues, if there is a software issue on some of these Leopard machines, or something actually messed up in Leopard.

I wonder how it would work with a clean install of Leopard?

With all of the things you read about Leopard issues, it's obvious that some people are having issues, while others are not. Very strange indeed...

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

My leopard installs were clean installs. In fact, one of them was a full hard disk erase and install. It's a leopard problem. There's no doubt about it.