Wireless help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guiltyox, Apr 17, 2009.

1. guiltyox macrumors newbie

There may be an easy explanation for this, but for someone who is new to Mac's entirely, it's proving to be difficult. I recently acquired a powerbook g4 15" powerpc 1.5ghz with 1gb ram and 80gb hd. I'm a computer technician at work, go figure, but only for pc's. The wireless works flawlessly on the mac at work, t1 connection, blah blah. When I arrive home, my wireless is SOOOOO slow and sometimes doesnt even work. I have comcast cable internet, which is really fast on my desktop and two pc laptops. So with my comcast, i have their issued cable modem and a linksys wireless router. Any thoughts as to why this is so slow? Takes me like, 5 minutes to load facebook. Thanks!

p.s.- i have Mac OSX 10.5 +, not sure what exact version. I think 10.5.6?

2. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Try changing cables that you are using. You may have a bad cable. Have you done a speed test with your provider? What was the results?

3. guiltyox thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using wireless, its the wireless thats slow. Hardwired it works just fine, blazing fast. 15.92Mb/s down and 8.55Mb/s up for the speed test. My two laptop pc's work fine on the wireless too.

4. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

That is a strange one. It has to be in the configuration then, I would start there and maybe have a AppleCare Rep walk you through it before they close at the night.

5. j.roswen macrumors newbie

Is it possible that something could be interfering with the router? With my old router, whenever the phone rang the internet would become incredibly slow and sometimes cut off.

Do you get all bars?