Wireless HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cjk455, Dec 5, 2009.

1. cjk455 macrumors newbie

I have a WEP password set up for my home wireless and for some reason the iPod Touch (3rd gen) will connect but the connection is slow!

When I connect to other wireless networks that do not have a password, it works awesome but what's the deal??

PLEASE HELP

2. celticpride678

It is pretty well known that iPod touch's have trouble connecting to a WEP network. I would try WPA if possible.

3. cjk455 thread starter macrumors newbie

You sure? I thought people were saying WPA was worse and thats why I'm on WEP right now...

4. cjk455 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Just a thought

Would it be too difficult for you to do an experiment on your own network? Regardless of what's "reported" there might be something about your space that makes one kind of network work better than the other. If it turns out that WPA works better for you, who cares what "they" say?

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

7. RabbidAssassin macrumors member

RabbidAssassin

8. pilotrtc macrumors regular

9. cjk455 thread starter macrumors newbie

On my router (Zyxel 330W), there's multiple types of WPA, (TKIP or AES)... does anyone know if either those affects it?

I switched to WPA Personal 64bit, TKIP without 802.1x authentication and it still doesnt seem to work that well...

10. cjk455 thread starter macrumors newbie

any other thoughts? am i the only one experiencing this problem?

11. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

When I first got my Touch I noticed that the internet speed from my box was very very slow and the connection range was about 10 feet, which is crap.

I can't remember what encryption I use, and I don't know how to find out (It's either WPA or WEP haha), but what fixed my connection and speed issues was changing the channel my WiFi router box thing uses.

It was automatically setting itself to channel 6 (I think). I manually changed it to 14 (I think). Just find your router's address, pop it into your browser and have a look through the settings.

I have two WiFi routers in neighbours' houses that my Touch can pick up, I think at least one of them was running on channel 6, and therefore clashing with my box and slowing it down. ... I think.

Anyway, give it a try! lol

12. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Really? My home network uses WEP (I have older systems that won't do WPA) and I've never had a single problem with my 1st gen touch.