iPod touch Wireless HELP!

cjk455

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I have a WEP password set up for my home wireless and for some reason the iPod Touch (3rd gen) will connect but the connection is slow!

When I connect to other wireless networks that do not have a password, it works awesome but what's the deal??

PLEASE HELP

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Just a thought

Would it be too difficult for you to do an experiment on your own network? Regardless of what's "reported" there might be something about your space that makes one kind of network work better than the other. If it turns out that WPA works better for you, who cares what "they" say?

cjk455

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
My home network is WPA also.
On my router (Zyxel 330W), there's multiple types of WPA, (TKIP or AES)... does anyone know if either those affects it?

I switched to WPA Personal 64bit, TKIP without 802.1x authentication and it still doesnt seem to work that well...

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
When I first got my Touch I noticed that the internet speed from my box was very very slow and the connection range was about 10 feet, which is crap.

I can't remember what encryption I use, and I don't know how to find out (It's either WPA or WEP haha), but what fixed my connection and speed issues was changing the channel my WiFi router box thing uses.

It was automatically setting itself to channel 6 (I think). I manually changed it to 14 (I think). Just find your router's address, pop it into your browser and have a look through the settings.

I have two WiFi routers in neighbours' houses that my Touch can pick up, I think at least one of them was running on channel 6, and therefore clashing with my box and slowing it down. ... I think.

Anyway, give it a try! lol