Wireless home entertainment setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ArcadeKid, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ArcadeKid macrumors newbie

ArcadeKid

Hi guys, I have a question for everyone. I am considering buying a 1 TB timecapsule to compliment my 'mac suite' at home and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on wireless music receivers, or whatever you want to call them, I have attached my layout idea and I have everything in place except the time capsule and the box's marked with a ?

Ideally I want the wireless music thing to get the music from my time capsule so that my mac can be turned off.

If anyone has any ideas, questions, advice, information or preferences then please tell me them![​IMG]

Thanks for your help

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The Squeezebox Duet is getting good initial reviews. The original Squeezebox is as ever a decent choice as well. The Duet's remote controls have the displays built-in which I think is a big deal, since it's hard to squint at the SB's display from a distance. Unless Time Capsule runs it;s own music server I doubt that retrieving music directly from it to a player would be possible.

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

The Squeezebox seem like a cool device. Although, it seems like a Airport Express with a cool remote and some additional features. I'd be wary of storing my music on-line; I wonder if they charge for that service.

I had a similar setup, where my Powerbook (G4 12" 1.5 100GB HD) dedicated to music; was transmitting music to Airport Express which was connected to my receiver. I was able to control iTunes with my Palm Treo and Salling Clicker.

I replaced the PB with a 160GB iPod classic because I ran out of space on the PB HD. I'm without remote control, but that's fine for now. The iPod starts up much faster and probably uses less energy also.

There's a whole bunch of wireless products out there for the iPod; I just have to find the right one for me.