Wireless in-home security camera options?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reubs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

We're about to have another child, and I figured I'd like to get a couple of cameras to put in the rooms of the kids. One for each room would obviously suffice, and we could check on them w/o disturbing their sleep and also while we're out.

Something that would tie in to our wireless network would be great, but I don't even know where to begin with something like that. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with something like this? Something that runs on a battery and is easily turned on and off from the Mac would be ideal, but I'm willing to settle for something less complicated if it exists.

Thanks in advance!

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

The battery idea simply won't happen. Look into the Panasonic network cameras though.

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I can tell you that Linksys makes a cool one thats Networked (wireless) and can be activated upon motion and such. Sadly, its PC based only. (might work on a Mac but as far as Linksys webstie states, its PC)

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I highly recommend Axis Network Cameras. I have deployed many of them where I work and have been very pleased with them.

5. erikmj macrumors newbie

6. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Seems like these are only good for "real time" surviellance or for plugging into a recorder - or an eyeTV? No way to record directly to Mac or use motion activation?

7. merryreed macrumors newbie

I think there is no battery which will easily turned on and off.so you should buy new security camera which would not disturb your child sleep.

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Check out Costco. They are always good prices on security cameras. It seems like they always have one set that is on sale every monthly sale.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Right now you can get an 8 camera set with a 500 GB DVR and the cameras have night vision. It is $399 on sale through June 5. Made by Q-See. Put one in each of your kids rooms and then the others outside for security.

10. pattigranda macrumors newbie

11. timish macrumors regular

Make sure whatever cameras\equipment you get aren't using 2.4Ghz wireless.

One use of the microwave (or cordless phone) and you may have problems with cameras going offline.

That was my experience at least, so I had to go wired.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

Good luck installing something like that up and not see the wires.

13. Ultrafied macrumors newbie

You might look into VueZone. Great for realtime, checking status, etc. For actual security and recording, not really any good.

14. Resist macrumors 68030

Don't you also have to pay a monthly service fee?

15. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Yep....you do. Soon as I saw that, I took them off my list.

16. Ultrafied macrumors newbie

A yearly fee of 36.95 for 5 cameras. Figure in the cost of wiring, the cost of an IP camera compared to the Vuezone camera(s), the cost is minimal. Plus, for the basic (2 cameras) you get the service free for the first year. Easy way to try it. After researching. the cost is the most inexpensive and setup is just plain simple (i.e. no brainer).
    I am currently running 9 cameras, 4 outside and 5 inside. Works excellent from my iPhone or iPad. The cost for this, up to 3 gateways/15 cameras is 79.95 a year.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

The problem I have with monthly fees, is that they always go up in a short period of time.

18. ncarnall macrumors member

I use a couple of Foxcom wireless cameras, can monitor from mac using safari or via iPhone or any browser on any other pc. Need to set up DDNS to monitor away from home. Got mine of Amazon