Wireless incredibly slow on Mac, but perfect on XP under Parallels

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cryforfiji, Aug 9, 2008.

1. cryforfiji macrumors newbie

Now for the details:

This problem is only occurring at my girlfriend's apartment complex. Everywhere else that I've connected is working properly; however, at this particular location it takes at least 50 seconds to two minutes to connect to any webpage. The interesting thing about this is that once I've successfully connected to a website I can browse the rest of the site with relatively good speeds. For example, in visiting this forum, it took about 2 minutes to load forums.macrumors.com, but once it was loaded browsing the different forums were fine.

The other interesting aspect of this is that the internet is working perfectly under XP. On the mac side of things, I've tried both firefox and safari and both are exhibiting the same symptoms. Also, because of lazy network security, I have access to the router setting (huzzah admin/password default settings!), so I can provide any information that could lead to a problem.

Furthermore, I've researched this a bit and it seems like it could be the DNS settings, but I've already tried the opendns.org settings and they didn't help (I placed these DNS addresses under both my ethernet and airport settings).

I'm also currently running 10.5.4

I know the post is long, but I really appreciate anyone that's willing to help or even read this :D

Thanks!

2. rd261 macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem with my macbook in my home network. However, for me changing the dns to open dns seemed to have solved the problem. What I did was delete all of my default dns and then add the open dns. That way I only have to dns addresses.

3. cryforfiji thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried entering the openDNS settings into the router and into the airport settings. I've further verified this truly is a DNS specific error by pinging Yahoo's IP and then pinging www.yahoo.com. The IP came back instantly while pinging the name took around 45 seconds before returning anything.

I'm stumped.

4. t22design macrumors regular

EDIT: ignore this, I didn't realise you had narrowed it down to DNS.

Wireless N?

I had horrible upload problems, and therefore very slow internet access with 802.11n and TKIP.

XP connected using 802.11g and was fine.

Switching my router to 'AES only' solved this for me.