Wireless instability (Steam games, wireless signals)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sherisdoppel, Apr 29, 2010.

1. sherisdoppel macrumors newbie

Hi,

I installed a genuine Windows 7 Ultimate on my recently bought Macbook Pro 15" i7 then am facing a lot of troubles.
    I normally try to work out myself with google, but this time nothing seems to solve the problem after 5 hours of self troubleshooting.

The problem I have is on the wireless instability. The router is staying in a same position as well as my Macbook, but the signal bar changes between 2-5 a lot. It's only 8 feet away and I'm not sure how this is happening? The problem is that it affects the speed and sometimes drops the connection then appears after a minute or so.

A noticeable problem is when I try to join servers through games, especially source engine games such as Counter Strike: Source, TF2 or HL2: Deathmatch, it completely drops the connection and the wireless network list doesn't show up the router even when another laptop right beside me is using it without any troubles.
    Sometimes, I succeed to join a server, but when the server tries to change a map then the same symptom arises.

My bootcamp version is 3.1, installed all possible Windows 7 updates, and am not running any firewall nor any type of network security application. It wouldn't matter but I would like to make people informed that all the ports required for network activities on those games are open to my local IP.

It would be really great if anyone can help. Thank you.

2. ryan9939 macrumors newbie

what wireless router are you using? Are you connecting using 802.11a, b, g, or n? 2.4Ghz or 5ghz? What security setting are you using on your router? Also, what wifi card comes in those newer macbook pros?

3. sherisdoppel thread starter macrumors newbie

The wireless is just the general one, the speed is 54.0Mbps.
    I'm using Verizon Fios, security setting is on default, the medium one of all choices I have.

The name of the adapter is Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter.
    I have 2 desktops and another laptop besides this new Macbook Pro.
    Everything works fine. It's only this laptop.

I really appreciate you trying to help.

4. sherisdoppel thread starter macrumors newbie

I also noticed that it happens to wired connections.

5. sherisdoppel thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

Open Control Pannel>Device Manager>Networking Adapters> Select the wireless adaptor. Mess with he settings in there? I don't know, i'm just spitballing. Maybe try the Power Management tab settings, or the Advanced tab settings.

OR, Control Pannel>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change advanced power settings>Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode> fiddle with that stuff and see what happens.

Don't you love how simple it is to navigate and troubleshoot Windows? It's almost like they only designed it for trouble shooting. Since that about all one gets to do in Windows. ;)

7. sherisdoppel thread starter macrumors newbie

I reformatted and installed only Steam to see if the games work.
    I still didn't work.

Any ideas now?

8. howt macrumors newbie

did u solved this problem?? iam having the same problem :mad: