Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Hello all,
I think I may have confused myself too much in my previous thread. Here is my problem:

I just purchased an iMac and received it on Monday. It is not replacing a computer, but becoming an additional one in the house. I set it up, and was able to connect to the internet when connected with an ethernet cable to my DSL modem (which is also a wireless gateway -- Westell Versalink).

Unfortunately, this DSL modem lives one room over in our bedroom, where my boyfriend's PC lives. I am trying to connect wirelessly to the modem, however I do not know how to do this. When I go to system preferences, and try to set up a Network connection I do not know which one is my network. I picked one called "linksys" because it didn't require a password, and it said I was connected, but the internet was still red and said failed. Also, when connected to this network, when I put in the IP address of my modem, it brought me to the Linsys G Broadband Router (which I don't own) instead of the Westell gateway.

I know that the gateway does work since there is another PC that connects wirelessly (none of the computers are networked to one another). I was not involved in the set up of that system, however I do know that a password was NOT created.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to purchase additional equipment? Do I need to drill a hole in the wall and connect via ethernet cable? Please keep in mind that I am brand new to Macs and have never connected to the internet wirelessly before.

Thanks,
Jenny

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Go into Internet Connect and select the AirPort tab. There should be a list of all the wireless networks available. If it's there select, the Westell network (or whatever it may have been named), you should then be connected to the net.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
When I do that, there is a list of networks. The only one I have access to is Linksys and I cannot connect to the internet. How do I know what it was named?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
jennysbelly said:
When I do that, there is a list of networks. The only one I have access to is Linksys and I cannot connect to the internet. How do I know what it was named?
You should be able to find out through the connection details on the PCs. However, if Linksys is all you can connect to, then that won't be of much help. Perhaps try configuring your actual modem with the Mac and then hook up the other computers.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Well, I think that the other PC just connects to whatever network has the strongest signal . . . in other words, the teenager of the house may be stealing other people's wireless.

How do I set up the modem with my MAC and then add the other computers? One of the PCs does not have wireless.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Not sure if this will work or not, but try installing the disc that came with your modem. My friend has a modem like that for his Verizon DSL and he had to install it to even connect through wired ethernet. I assume it'd be the same for wireless networking.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Verizon Disk

The disk didn't work on the Mac . . . it said I didn't have administrative rights. Yesterday our DSL went completely down so I wasn't able to test it all. I am able to get on wired, at least I was on Monday.

The real thing I don't understand is how to know what Network is ours and how to set it up in the first place. Apparently, the one person using wireless in the house (and it isn't my computer and I don't know how it works) is NOT using our modem, since he was connected even while my modem was unplugged.

Can someone give me a step by step, pretend (or don't pretend) that I'm an idiot guide to setting up using wireless for the first time with a dual modem/router?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I don't know if this will be helpful, as I have a different model modem/router, but this is what I had to do to set up my wireless network. (Not sure about yours, but mine came with an easy set-up guide, this could be helpful to you)

1. Make sure the modem/router is plugged into the DSL line and powered.
2. Somewhere in the documents that came with the modem, there should be a set-up guide, it will contain an address to configure the modem. (something like http:/101.1.1.1.0). Use your browser to get to this. It will often require a password (which is normally provided in the guide) but will most likely be "admin".
3.Once in the config page, there should be a set-up wizard where you put in all of your account details. Here, it will also ask if you want to set up a wireless network. Select the option which will allow this, it should also let you choose a name for the network. Do this and complete the wizard.
4.It may now request that you restart the modem by turning off the power, then turning it on again.
5. Once your modem has connected, turn AirPort on on your Mac and a list of networks should become available. Select your network.
You should now be connected to the internet.

Like I said, this is what I had to do, but yours may be different. I strongly recommend you refer to the guide that came with your modem/router.

Hope that helps! ;)

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Unfortunately, my modem did not come with a guide. It came with Verizon DSL software that is supposed to set it up, but doesn't work on the Mac.

Will a wizard come up even if the modem is already set up on a different computer?

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
jennysbelly said:
Unfortunately, my modem did not come with a guide. It came with Verizon DSL software that is supposed to set it up, but doesn't work on the Mac.

Will a wizard come up even if the modem is already set up on a different computer?

I can't give any specific advice, but I'd recommend checking out the website dslreports. They have an amazing forum regarding setting up wireless network connections and specific info on certain models of modems/routers. I found a specific page of FAQ for Westell that you may want to check out.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
discoforce said:
I can't give any specific advice, but I'd recommend checking out the website dslreports. They have an amazing forum regarding setting up wireless network connections and specific info on certain models of modems/routers. I found a specific page of FAQ for Westell that you may want to check out.

Thanks, I'll check this out.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jennysbelly said:
Thanks, I'll check this out.
Is this the Westell 327W? If so, I have the same router and can help you out if you don't find what you need at dslreports (love that site!).

The Westell defaults the wireless SSID to the serial number of the router, which is something like 04Z409123456. The Verizon wizard I ran on my PC didn't give you any options to turn off the wireless or turn on WEP or change the SSID, so I had to do that manually.

It did however force you to set a username/password for gaining admin rights on the router, so at least it did something right. You can restore it to factory settings by pressing the little button in the back of the router and then you would be able to run the wizard again (if needed).

B

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Ahh, DO NOT attempt to use the Verizon software. It's stupid, a waste, bloated, and makes your computer (PC or Mac..they do have a Mac version) run like crap.

Plug your iMac into the modem like you said you had it. Then access your modem's IP (I guess you already figured that out). You should be on the Westell setup now. Look for wireless. On some Verizon Westell Versalinks, you have to manually turn Wireless on. You should be able to work your way around the control panel and see what's what.

After you get that set up, look at the PC. Head over to the bottom right where the system tray and clock are displayed. You'll see a computer looking icon with waves coming out. Right click it and View Available Wireless Networks. See what ones come up and connect to the right one (not your neighbors).

Ryan

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ITASOR said:
Ahh, DO NOT attempt to use the Verizon software.
LOL. I definitely would not have run it myself, but I had so many issues with the initial installation of my DSL. Flawless since then, but miserable customer service through the install.

Glad to hear they're not always turning wireless on wide open and unsecured.

ITASOR said:
After you get that set up, look at the PC. Head over to the bottom right where the system tray and clock are displayed. You'll see a computer looking icon with waves coming out. Right click it and View Available Wireless Networks. See what ones come up and connect to the right one (not your neighbors).

In the same systray doohickey XPSP2 will also allow you to export your wireless settings to a file you can use to set up other wireless machines. By doing this you can get a text file that has the SSID and WEP key you might need to access your wireless network.

B

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
ITASOR said:
Ahh, DO NOT attempt to use the Verizon software. It's stupid, a waste, bloated, and makes your computer (PC or Mac..they do have a Mac version) run like crap.

Plug your iMac into the modem like you said you had it. Then access your modem's IP (I guess you already figured that out). You should be on the Westell setup now. Look for wireless. On some Verizon Westell Versalinks, you have to manually turn Wireless on. You should be able to work your way around the control panel and see what's what.

Ryan

Wow, good to hear that you don't HAVE to install their software to use their service. I have Charter 3mbps cable, but my friend is on Verizon DSL and he said you HAD to install the software. I thought something was up with that. Good to hear that you don't.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FadeToBlack said:
Wow, good to hear that you don't HAVE to install their software to use their service.
If you don't use their software you need to point a browser at a particular URL to perform the last few steps of activation of your account.

You can find the URL from dslreports or by asking an informed customer service rep. That is if you can get though to one...

EDIT: The URL is https://dslreg.verizon.net.

B

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Verizon DSL

OK, well after connecting to the internet (with the Ethernet cable) we still weren't able to access to the modems IP site, so we called Verizon and actually got someone who knows Macs very well. After exhausting testing, he decided that the wireless aspect of our modem isn't working . . . so they are sending us a new one. I have no idea how the PC in our house was connecting wirelessly, but hopefully the new modem works fine. If it doesn't I swear I'm buying an Airport base station!

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
dr_lha said:
Obviously it was connecting to the neighbor's Linksys router! :)

I agree . . . which is pretty funny, but what I wonder is how come he can connect to the internet via that router, but I couldn't?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and hopefully it will go up smoothly when the new modem/router arrives.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
jennysbelly said:
I agree . . . which is pretty funny, but what I wonder is how come he can connect to the internet via that router, but I couldn't?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and hopefully it will go up smoothly when the new modem/router arrives.

May have had something to do with the placement of his computer (closer to the signal source) or maybe because he has linksys wireless card (thought you mentioned that earlier/other post)?

Also, as ITASOR said, the wireless signal on your modem may have been turned off. If that's the case you'd have to connect via the ethernet, go to the config page, and turn it on. Unless of course there's a button to do that ;)

When I was setting up my DSL modem to talk to my wireless router to talk to my powerbook and other pc computers, I was surprised too that things just didn't work as easily as I'm used to with macs. Be patient, keep asking questions, and you'll get it working soon.

Lastly, I'd really recommend you set up some wireless security (WPA, WEP) once you get it working. If you're receiving someone else's signal, they can probably receive yours.

liquidh2o

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2004
Alabama
jennysbelly,

for some odd reason I didn't notice you were using an intel imac.

I've owned a versalink for about a year now and had no problems using the wireless with my powermac and pc, but have been unsuccessful trying to get my intel imac to connect. Whenever I try to connect to the versalink I get an airport error, any chance you've had this problem as well?

I've tried talking to both verizon and apple, both are stumped and blame the other, but I spoke with an Apple HQ rep and she is forwarding the issue w/ my data log to an engineer in hopes of getting to the root of the problem.

Just for grins I had verizon send me out another install cd, for some reason I keep thinking I had to use it with my powermac for the versalink, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.....

Let us know if the new versalink solves your problems!

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
wow!! This is amazing - I recieved my 20" intel iMac on thursday and wrestled around with our Verizon provided Westell and I could not get it to connect for the life of me I spent 6 hours! My solution I went out and purchased a new belkin wireless router from bestbuy for $50 dollars, I used port 4 on the back of the westell to the wan connection on the belkin. then proceded to just setup a PPOE connection on the Belkin and low and behold my iMac connected to it.

I have been told by Apple they are aware of the problem are and working on a fix!

To the original poster - unless Westell has somehow changed the firmware I'm fairly confident a new modem is not going to fix the connection issue!

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Yeah, that's true. Don't forget, the iMac G5's might have been created after those modems and since I'm not familiar with the company name, I assume it's not something that made itself compatible with Macs. But who knows.

liquidh2o

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2004
Alabama
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
Yeah, that's true. Don't forget, the iMac G5's might have been created after those modems and since I'm not familiar with the company name, I assume it's not something that made itself compatible with Macs. But who knows.

err we all have the same modem... i had been using mine previously with a G5 DP powermac. The modem comes from verizon and is specifically stated by them as well as westell that it supports OSX.

I really believe it's a problem on Apple's end and has something to with how it negotiates a connection with the westell, hopefully we find out soon though else I'll have to come out of pocket to purchase a different wifi router :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.