Wireless Internet + Airtunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siecode, Aug 1, 2008.

1. siecode macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use my Airport Express for airtunes while connecting wirelessly to the internet?
    Sounds pretty basic, but I cant get it working.

iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
    using a 2wire modem

Any help appreciated.

2. sonicspectrum macrumors newbie

I think I can help...not sure what 2wire modem is?

- power off your computer, modem and airport express
    - plug the uplink from the modem into the airport express (rj45 cable).
    - ensure your modem is attached to your cable or adsl connection and power it up
    - allow it to go through a full boot sequence and eventually settle down to show good conectivity to the internet while no activity on the LAN
    - power up the airport express
    - allow it to go from solid yellow to, hopefully, green light. (this migt not happen, if not just keep going for now)
    - power up your mac, use searchlight to find "airport admin utility" and configure the airport express to act as a wireless router, set up security to have a WEP enabled password, etc.
    - Once configured you'll need to re-start the router and possibly your computer to have the computer recognize the router and the wireless network that you have created.
    -Once online and on the wireless network open iTunes
    - in preferences look for the option to "enable airtunes" or (I am sorry, going off of memory here) "look for remote speakers" this option will allow iTunes to look for the airport express
    - once enabled you will see at the bottom right of iTunes a pull down menu that lets you select either your computer's speakers or the name of your airport's wireless speakers, or both (multiple speakers). Choose the wireless option and you should be good.

Couple of important notes:
    1) you will need to have speakers plugged into the airport express for the computer to even allow it as an option, so ensure you are also connected to a stereo
    2) I do not know about other's experiences but my iTunes drops the connection to airtunes quite often. There are a number of threads out there on this issue with a number of suggestions the only suggestion I have found that has had any real effect on preventing dropped connections is to always play the music through multiple speakers - choose both the wireless airtunes and your computer's speakers. For some reason this helps prevent dropped connections.

Good luck