Wireless Internet and Mac/Ipod

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luffytubby, Feb 9, 2008.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

We have alot of internet device enabled products in our apartment, and we started talking about wireless internet. we use it alot. downloading, uploading. we need fast and reliable internet all the time.

but I have heard that wireless internet in general is bad, that it is slow, and can easily drop connection to the devices? and that it aint up to speed. but i also heard some say that its really good and secure and reliable!

but if I want to go online with lets say... An Ipod touch I would need wireless internet right? or be in a public hot-spot?

Right now We have broadband from our phone cable. i think we have 2 Mbit connection, with slow upload. its okay for online gaming and downloading(the fastest i have gotten was like 120 kbs in speed)

if I got wireless internet and an imac, what would I need? a wireless router? but would I also need some kind of antenna or something for the Imac, where the ethernet port is?

we got 3 computers, a couple of consoles and hopefully an imac soon, so we need alot of speed... we have so many cables all over the place. its really awful:(

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

the iMac has a built-in wireless card, so all you would need is a wireless router.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You do lose a little speed, but not enough to be an issue. If you have six devices connected to your wifi network and they're all downloading or playing online games, you'll be in the same boat you are with a wired connection. Each device will only have 1/6 of the available bandwidth.

An iPod Touch needs wifi to connect to the internet.

I'd suggest buying an Airport Express and you'd be all set. All new iMacs come with wireless built in.

4. BdON003 macrumors newbie

Get a wireless router and you will wonder how you ever lived before.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

On the speed note, even a really slow wireless connection should give you over 10Mbit speed, and it's a lot more likely you'll end up using a "g" network, which is nominally 54Mbit.

Which is to say, way, WAY faster than your internet connection. Thus, there will be essentially no penalty in speed. Theoretically there might be a tiny addition in latency, but I just did a test; pinging a site from one computer connected via wired gigabit averaged 96.1ms over 11 pings, while the same site from a wirelessly connected computer averaged 97.2ms. So the difference is negligible, and either of those is way faster than I ever got with cable.

The only hit would be if you were transferring significant amounts of data between computers within the network (for example, if you had an in-house server); that would benefit from a wired connection. Of course, you can leave your wired router in for the computers that are talking directly to each other if you want, or get a router with a few wired ports in it (which is what I do--I have my desktop and server wired to my Airport Base Station via gigabit, but use my laptop wirelessly).