wireless internet hardware bottleneck for old imac??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AKfreeRider, Sep 15, 2011.

1. AKfreeRider macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't really know where to post this, but I would appreciate anyone who can provide an answer to the question. So here is the situation:

I have one of the old 2ghz 20" intel core duo imacs. I connect wirelessly to the internet and I can only get roughly 18mbits on a speedtest while my roomates can get the full 40mbits on their newer mac machines. I can get the full 40 when directly connected to the router. My question is, am I limited on my wireless bandwidth due to older hardware? I am running system 10.6.8 (same as one roomate) so I don't think it is software related. I also have a 6 year old macbook pro with the same issue. I just moved to Seattle from Alaska, so in no way am i complaining about the 18mbit speed. This is more to satisfy my curiosity. If anyone knows anything on the subject, I'd appreciate being enlightened.

Thanks

-AKfreeRider

2. darster Suspended

You're likely limited by the fact your old mac is only b/g wifi capable, while your friends are likely b/g/n capable. n will give you the higher speeds. When you hook up directly to router via ehternet, you bypass the wifi limitations on your old mac. That's my guess.

3. AKfreeRider thread starter macrumors newbie