Wireless internet help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac Kiwi, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I have a 2008 mac pro.I am wondering whether its a better idea to go for a wifi internal card,or is it better to get the airport extreme for wireless internet with router?

My knowledge of wifi/setup is quite limited.

Tia

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The AirPort Extreme as in Apple's glorified router? Not unless you want to waste a ton of money. Go for the card.

What's your current network situation? Why do you need wireless on that behemoth? It's hard to give you a definitive answer without knowing more about your system.

3. Mac Kiwi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks

Ok.The Mac Pro does not come with wireless capability,right? You have to buy the wireless card to get that facility working?

For the moment I just want to get my Mac Pro up using a wireless router.I am given the option of connecting {for the Mac} via an airport,sans the PC only setup cd from my ISP.Which is why I am a bit confused about how to proceed with the whole deal/what extra parts to buy.

Router - Dynalink RTA 1025W

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's correct.

What kind of internet are you using? ADSL?

5. Mac Kiwi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya ADSL.

Thanks for the help.I think I now almost have it sorted.

My ISP says 5 dsl filters per phone line is the limit.Is there is a way of stretching that further,without having to put in a second phone line?