Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
you can not use an airport, but you can use any USB transmiter as long as there are drivers for Mac, it will be a bit slower as it is USB 1.1 and not 2.0. and your supposed to be able to use some PCI wireless cards but I have not had any luck with them.

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
Another option would be an Airport Express hooked up to the G3 with an ethernet cable. That way you have "g" speeds and guaranteed compatibility (no OS 9 drivers to worry about if you use OS 9). It's actually slightly cheaper than a "b" type wireless PCI card, and a lot faster than a USB adaptor over USB 1.1 . The other option is to use the USB adaptor with a USB 2.0 PCI card, but again you might have problems finding drivers if you use OS 9.

halfprep455

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Maryland USA
I just bought a USB wireless card on ebay. Ill probably but PCI USB 2.0 card sience I need the ports anyway. How much slower will it be with USB 1.1?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
From my experience surfing the net won't really be all that slow, downloading files and updates and the what not will be slower, but still much faster then dial up. I don't think you will have any problem using a wireless USB transmiter on a USB 2.0 PCI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.