Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Ehh.. not too impressed..... I'd rather see a bluetooth iPod before that....

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Gherkin said:
DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS?

Eventually you will have your iPod and be able to stream your iTunes library from your computer anywhere you want. You could have your iPod at the coffee shop down the street, and you would be streaming your music from your computer 3 miles away in your apartment. You could be on a roadtrip in California, 2,000 miles away, and streaming your iTunes library from your apartment onto your iPod.

Verizon (and someone else I think?) already have wireless broadband networks. Forget about getting a iPod with a 200 GB harddrive. You won't need it. You will just stream your music and videos ANYWHERE to your iPod. The future of the iPod is without a hardddrive. All the iPod will be in the future is an antenna and a screen, receiving a hi-speed stream of all your music and media files.

First of all, (not sure about everyone) but if I was 2,000 miles away from my home, my computer would be off. So am I streaming from my turned off computer?

Second, how would one stream from their computer while on a plane. I pretty sure a wireless network is hard to comeby 30,000 feet in the air above the Pacific ocean.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
umm, asxtb - many people travel and still leave their home desktops on...i know my PM is up and running even if i'm gone for a week or two. how else can i remotely access files on my home powermac?

still, even though apple's not going to make one, i want an apple handheld...wireless ipod with video...just stick on a touch screen and some input method and it's basically a pda. wishful thinking, i know...oh well.

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
I think we are all missing the point here.

Wireless functions will be beneficial to the customer and to Apple as they could introduce the iTunes Music Store to the iPod so we can BUY music from our iPods :D

kadajawi

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2006
Hmm, I think the biggest and most obvious use would be that you just put your iPod beside your Mac, or even carry it in your pocket or whereever, and simply transfer your MP3s to the iPod, without fiddling with a plug. Or maybe when you're at a friends place for example. Makes it easier to load MP3s onto the iPod.

It would be cool if digital cameras get WLAN aswell, so you can easily send your fotos to the iPod in case you run out of space on the camera.

But nevertheless Nokia has had this for quite a few months. The N91 with its 4 GB harddisk has on the first sight only keys for music playback, a big, good colour screen, a 2 MP digital camera, WLAN, UMTS, Bluetooth, Internet, VoIP is probably also possible, and you can use it as phone. At a very premium price of course.
Hm, when I think of it... time for an iPhone.

gola

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
bergen, norway
great idea

I think this is such a genious idea that we cannot at this point see exactly all the consequences here. Some questions: Is this apples attack against the mobile phone companies and their music download models (probably the only competitors to apple monopoly)? Could the wifi ipod become the "media center" also for the livingroom at home?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
The iPod becoming a wireless controller/broadcaster for your iTunes library is going to be great. Apple IR controllers dont cut it. I want a screen - and why not make it the iPods screen.

I also want wireless headphones. Those wires really annoy me.

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
I am selling my old style iPod Photo 60GB on ebay in the UK (ending today) as I had planned to get the 60GB video iPod but am holding off because I do believe that it is an intermediate product before launching the full video iPod system....

I shall continue to wait as it is in the middle of its current product lifecycle. IIRC it was April when they opened the iTunes music store? Maybe then would be a good time for that technology to be unleashed?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
As to the iPod: I wouldn't rely on any speculation printed in The Times.

Pixar: It's obvious Disney are dying to buy them out, and have been for a while. Pixar has been the only group making any real hits for Disney recently. The biggest problem I can see here is that their quality will drop. The balance between the values of the two organisations need to be kept, so all is not lost. Maybe keeping them seperate, acting as a different company, but a wholly owned subsiduary could be the answer.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Gherkin said:
DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS?

Eventually you will have your iPod and be able to stream your iTunes library from your computer anywhere you want. You could have your iPod at the coffee shop down the street, and you would be streaming your music from your computer 3 miles away in your apartment. You could be on a roadtrip in California, 2,000 miles away, and streaming your iTunes library from your apartment onto your iPod.

Verizon (and someone else I think?) already have wireless broadband networks. Forget about getting a iPod with a 200 GB harddrive. You won't need it. You will just stream your music and videos ANYWHERE to your iPod. The future of the iPod is without a hardddrive. All the iPod will be in the future is an antenna and a screen, receiving a hi-speed stream of all your music and media files.
Not to brag or w/e, but that is exactly what i said under my post under the Copyrighting "Mobile Me" thread. Sounds like I wasn't i might not be so far off..;) I only pictured an iTrip-sized adapter.

the rumor circuits can go wild with this one...here's my crazy idea. Okay so Mobile Me is a service by Apple working in conjunction but not partnered with .Mac that allows the user to upload songs and broadcast them wirelessly to users that receive it via a small adapter on iPods (like iTrip) and on computers via internet connection, and iTunes enabled phones without any other adapters, only needing an email address and password (iTunes account perhaps?).

That would be really neat, allowing people to have access to their music or i guess any file really, wirelessly, like a cell phone. It's a thought at least.

M. Johansson

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
gola said:
I think this is such a genious idea that we cannot at this point see exactly all the consequences here. Some questions: Is this apples attack against the mobile phone companies and their music download models (probably the only competitors to apple monopoly)? Could the wifi ipod become the "media center" also for the livingroom at home?

The Swedish division of Three (http://www.tre.se) is already doing this here, and they will soon become a SERIOUS threat to the iPod if Apple does not act. They have a strong "early adopter" feel to them so far, but $4/month gives you free streaming and 10 free downloads (after that it's comparable to iTunes). Their library is laughable so far when compared to iTunes, but I don't think Apple should wait too long before moving in.

3G technology is getting really cheap (mopt definetly cheaper than the iPod harddrive), and integrating it into an iPod wouldn't be very complicated. Combine it with iSync to have it stream your own library in addition to iTunes, and you have a winner.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Well I think it would be cool if when you are travelling on the train to work, you can get your iPod out and see if there is anyone in range with another 6G iPod. You could then listen to their music (much like you can listen to music on other computers with iTunes now) and they could listen to yours.

Although there would of course be an option to password protect your iPod so only certain users can listen.

aswitcher said:
The iPod becoming a wireless controller/broadcaster for your iTunes library is going to be great. Apple IR controllers dont cut it. I want a screen - and why not make it the iPods screen.

Think this would be most likely and fit with best into the market. Every iPod stereo system has some sort of dock or whatever and changing track either involves a sub-par remote or fiddling about with a docked ipod. Wireless iPod just plays and streams to your Airport or some new airport enabled device, while you can sit on the couch and browse on your iPod. Even with a wireless chip, battery should be 10+ hours which is plenty.

Not sure about the wireless headphones though. I like small ones for ease and am imagining trying not to lose two paracetamol - either in my pocket, in my ears or swallowed by a small child. Either that or look about as cool as a blue tooth headset ... mmmm stylish. Might get myself a Mondeo too.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
arn said:
? I don't understand that.

This would be being able to wirelessly stream on-demand any song out there. A monthly fee would be the most likely model.

arn

This would probably be the only way that I would consider a subscription service.

What would I pay?
For music only $9-$10 per month
For music and video content - $18-$20 per month (depending upon whethor or not there is more video content than what is currently available.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
gola said:

I suppose that with fast enough Wi-Fi capabilities then Apple could avert the phone companies altogether if there were some sort of Vonage for Cell phone type software. Small market at first but there are a number of cities that are working on blanketing the whole city with Wireless internet. (Search for articles on Wi-Max technology, streaming Internet radio)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Problem with adding wireless is going to increase the price of the iPod by quite a lot. Perhaps it'll be an add-on? Oh, and battery life would be reduced.

Could it be the device that AppleInsider was talking about - the Boombox that has wireless capability?

Eitherway, wireless would be good - no more wires ( apart from charging, of course).

ihayden

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
AirPod Extreme?

AirPod?

I would be happy if my iPod with a 3-4 inch screen could connect to Airport or 802.11 networks and access the net..... like the PSP? hm. The streaming idea is cool but no HDD? I use the HDD for more than just music and vids. I dunno bout this one.

doug.hall

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
London
arn said:

This would be being able to wirelessly stream on-demand any song out there. A monthly fee would be the most likely model.

arn

I think its a great idea. This would release the ipod to roam around the hose whilst connected to a mac. Then, hey presto you have the perfect wireless remote to control a cetral home media centre where ever you are. I think this would be a great addition now there is multiple speaker streaming in iTunes.

Ive never understood why Apple haven't done this in the past. Maybe I'm the only one but I'd by one today if it existed and the softwarre enabled me to search the music on my laptop remotely using my ipod.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
arn said:

arn

Or simply to allow the ability to purchase music through your iPod from the iTMS, without having to go home to your computer?

Not that I really care about seeing any more 'enhancements' that revolve around the iTMS...

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
elmimmo said:
Ha! Jobs is not just Pixar's CEO. He simply OWNS Pixar. Why would he do that for?

Yeah, it does seem a little odd. Jobs is a well known control freak. Why give up control of Pixar?

thedialogic

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006
beyond iTunes & Music??

Cool - streaming / radio possibilities etc etc ... but:

Isn't this rumor also about the possibility that an iPod becomes a wireless global communicator ... iChat in your pocket (iSight in the iPod body or behind the screen as per the recent patent application). Thus, Apple avoids the fierce mobile phone market and goes straight to mobile video phone??

cwoloszynski

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
Mobile Me and .Mac

If Apple does go this direction, I'd bet that they will use .Mac to store your iTunes library and let you get access to that over the air.

That would allow users to turn off the computers and still have their full library.

And it would allow iTunes to use the .MAC and force more .Mac users, something that Apple has been pushing hard recently (iLife '06 has lots of .Mac tie-ins).

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
The Splash Power link is funny.

But it does point out a serious problem. In the coming wire-free, globally-networked world, a solution to power problems is crucial. As devices proliferate, and their power requirements rise, I think people's patience with the constant need to recharge will decrease.

Portable power sources have not even come close to keeping pace with devices' capabilities. Processing, memory, video and so on have seen orders-of-magnitude increases over the last few years. Batteries have limped along, a seeming afterthought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.