Wireless Internet - loosing connection

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by unionjackboy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. unionjackboy macrumors newbie

I've had my mac book for just over 3 years now, never had an issue. But in the last 6 months I found my wireless Internet didn't work from the usual spot I always used it in. The only way I could get the mac to connect was if I was in the same room as the router. Which pretty much deafiys the point of wireless. I tried my brothers windows laptop and that worked fine, I also have a iPad which works fine. So I can only assume its something to do with the MacBook itself. Personally I don't want to take it to a "genius" I would like to see if I can get it sorted myself or at least with your help.

I'm running on the following:

Airport software: 6.2.2

2. anberlinairlift macrumors member

anberlinairlift

Have you tried rebooting the machine?

I know it might sound like a stupid question, but it solves more problems than you'd think. Sometimes not rebooting your machine for a long time can make funky things happen. But then again I highly doubt you've gone 6 months without a reboot... so that might not be the case.

On the other hand, as far as your hardware is related, the internal WiFi antenna in your macbook might be starting to go bad. Shouldn't be a huge fix, but it's definitely something you'd want a Genius to take care of.

3. unionjackboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I've restarted it many times, as well as my router, I have updated my software from Leopard to Snow Leopard etc

4. anberlinairlift macrumors member

anberlinairlift

Also, how old is your router? You might want to consider replacing it or updating its firmware if it hasn't been updated in awhile.

Other than that, it sounds like it might just be a WiFi antenna problem in your macbook.