Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paregam313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Hey there guys - So...I just got my new MacBook Pro yesterday for graduation and I've been trying to connect to the internet wirelessly.
We have a Belkin 54G Wireless Router, which was private but I reset it so I don't think the wireless network is private anymore. So...my Mac now connects fully to the "Belkin54g" wireless network but I can't seem to get on the internet. We also connect through a Motorola modem.
I don't really know the difference between the DCHP and PPOEthingy....and network diagnostics apparently can't help.
I've tried putting in the IP address/subnet mask/etc but that doesn't work either. Sometimes it says its connected, other times it tells me there's no IP address.

If I need to call anyone, who should I call? The Mac people or the Wireless router/internet people?

Please help!

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Your internet provider. This happened to my Mac, and it's just your provider being mean. Call them up and they should walk you through the steps to get your internet going. They'll probably also ask you questions, but all in all, it's a relatively process. Beats trying to fix it yourself. Hope this helps!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Belkin routers are notorious for problems.

If you are on a cable modem you will need your router set to DHCP most likely, DSL would use PPPOE.

Other then that you can try unplugging the modem and router, then plugging the modem in first, wait 2 min, plug in the router, wait 2 min, then try and connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.