Wireless internet problems persist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m7a7d, Mar 19, 2010.

1. m7a7d macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've had my Macbook Pro for only 2 weeks now. Since I bought it, I've had wireless issues. After a few minutes of using the internet, I don't get any responses from websites.

For example, in Firefox, when I enter "www.google.com" and enter, it stays at "Waiting for response from www.google.com..."

My other two laptops running Windows 7 work flawless, even during the time that the MBP is having issues.

After searching these forums for a solution, I have found that this is a very common issue among MBP users, however I have yet to find a definitive solution.

I've read this entire thread, tried using the OpenDNS servers, to no avail.

Anyone have any other input?

2. PAC88 macrumors 6502

people have said that certain routers may work better than others.. but I don't believe that because I've used macs in so many different environments (with different routers) and it's the same everywhere. I hate to say it but I think macbooks are terrible at internet related activities. Web browsing has never in my opinion been a strong point for apple.

it might help to try the apple "airport", experiment with that for a few days and see if it makes a difference (you can always return it). that's the only idea I can come up with..

3. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. When you say experiment with Airport, what do you mean? I thought the wireless manager was called Airport and that I have been using it.

4. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

I think he means buy an airport express, and see if the MBP works better connecting to that.

I have a MB, not a MBP, but I don't have any issue with connection speed or browsing. I'm connected to a D-Link.

What type of router are you using?

5. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, I have no idea. I looked all over the damn thing, and I can't find anything that indicates a model/serial number/anything like that. I got it when I moved in, from Time Warner. They provided it to me for free.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

I'd call TW...there is obviously something within the inner workings of this specific wireless router that is interrupting your connection to the MBP.

But I also second buying an Airport Extreme Base Station. It will work with your PCs and it extremely reliable and easy to set up.

7. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

You might want to invest in a better router then.

You can log into the web interface and see. There should be something that indicates the manufacturer/model.

8. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already spoken with them. They pushed the problem onto Apple :rolleyes:

ha, I forgot about that. It's "Ambit Broadband."

If I invest in a new router, what would you recommend?

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Airport Extreme Base Station....well worth the extra money ($170-ish). Ease of use/set-up) and ability to work flawlessly with all your computers/phones are the big selling points.

10. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

I've had linksys and D-link. Both have worked well and were inexpensive (less then $50).

If you have the money, I'm sure the apple products are a good choice.

11. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Just thought of this...

Have you tried the wireless on another network? I know it's unlikely, but you should verify that the MBP isn't the problem. Take it to a free wi-fi hotspot, or a friends house and check what the performance is like there.

12. Trexznl macrumors member

I've had persistent internet problems on my macs, and it drove me crazy.

One day I disabled my (router's) firewall, and I haven't had any problems since. I think some router Firewalls are the Macs worst enemy.

13. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Also, if you live somewhere where there's a lot of other wireless networks about or other interference, be sure to go wireless n. In my apt building, wireless g doesn't stand a chance at being reliable, even with an AirPort Extreme Base Station. When I went wireless n, I never had another problem.

14. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to look into all the recommendations, and I'll post back. Not sure if I can afford $170 right now for the Airport extreme, but maybe a new router. I'll test the wireless on another network as well.

Thanks again :D

15. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

+1

That's why I thought TW could help. My guess is that there is some sort of firewall or setting that they should be able to help with.

17. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

I would be worried about the windows boxes on the network though...

18. mstrze macrumors 68000

On the Airport/Apple network or on the current network...as if they are next?

If you are talking about Windows compatibility with Airport Extreme Base Station: I (and likely every other PC/MAC AEBS owner on here) can vouch that I (we) have had NO issues getting my Windows PC to connect to the web on an AEBS.

19. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Neither actually. I was referring to disabling the firewall on the router.

Sorry, I should have quoted the previous message.

20. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

To test the most inexpensive solution first, I disabled my router's firewall.

I've been using my connection for longer than 10 minutes now, so this seems to have worked. I'll post again if the problem persists.

Curious, how could this affect my PCs on this network?

21. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

The firewall on the router is an effective way of keeping the computers safe from hackers. It blocks open ports and services that may be vulnerable to attacks.

For a test, you can disable the firewall and go to www.grc.com and try the shieldsUP application. This will probe your computer and show you which ports and services are open to the internet. Then turn your firewall back on and run the same tests.

Firewalls are built into the routers for a reason. You may very well run without it and never have a problem, but PCs are not the most secure machines.

For what its worth, I'd rather spend $30 - $50 on a router that works with both flavors of machine and have some peace of mind.

22. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BubbaJones, I appreciate your detailed suggestions.