Wireless internet Works, Built-in Ethernet can ping, but not browse websites

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbate86, Aug 25, 2010.

1. tbate86 macrumors newbie

I recently completely a wire pull from the network hub (Dell Power Connect?) in the office of a church, to a computer in a different room of the church. I plugged in the cat5e cable to the computer, it connects to the network, computers on the network can access it's public folders and remote access it, but the computer cannot browse the internet using the built-in ethernet plug. The wireless-internet on the computer allows me to navigate the internet just fine.

With the Airport turned off, and the ethernet plugged in, I can ping google.com with 0% packet loss, but when I try to connect to google on Safari or Firefox it says that Safari/Firefox cannot connect to the server.

Any ideas?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sound like the Ethernet is not getting a DNS record. Open System Preferences->Network pane, Advanced tab. A drop-down will come down with tabs. You can check out the TCP/IP tab to see you router's IP as well as the IP given to your Mac. The DNS tab should have the router's IP in it. If the DNS tab has nothing in it you can hit the - button because some have reported this re-imports the router's DNS record.

Now to give you a good DNS pointer. You can control your own DNS and block all the Trojan/Nasty hosting websites with a free account. I am talking about OpenDNS.com and they have an instructional video to show how using their free service you can really control your own DNS.

Good Luck.

3. tbate86 thread starter macrumors newbie

In the DNS area I have two of them, the router's IP address, and a second one. Any other ideas? I have also read somewhere and tried unchecking the boxes under proxy, restarting and giving it a try, and nothing.

I might get into openDNS, after I get this computer to work on the network without using any extra services.