wireless internet

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seahawks237, Jul 13, 2008.

1. seahawks237 macrumors newbie

ok so i am going to buy a macbook sometime this month and want to have a great internet connection with it. right now i have a pc laptop with wireless internet in the house. my sister and dad both have pc laptops and we have one desktop pc. my wireless router is probably 4 or 5 years old so i know its not the best. i also play xbox live. can anyone reccomend me a router that will run well with a macbook, 2 pc laptops, and a desktop and is easy to set up. my dad will be mad if i buy one and the router makes the desktop or other laptops lose connection or something. i would prefer not to spend much more than $100.
    o ya, my house is 3 levels if that matters

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I wouldn't think you would have to change anything. It should join that router without killing your other connections... :)

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

An 802.11n router will be your best bet, especially if your PCs can work with it, though the Xbox is limited to 802.11g. I've had decent success with Linksys products.

The Airport Extreme is easy to set-up, but it's $180. I use it to power my 802.11n side bridged to a Linksys Cable Gateway which handles the 802.11g side and the NAT.

4. seahawks237 thread starter macrumors newbie

will the airport extreme work with the laptops even though they aren't 'n'?

5. seahawks237 thread starter macrumors newbie

please bump ...
    can the airport extreme work with older pc laptops?
    also, if i buy an airport extreme, do i have to install something into the laptops or just the desktop which we are connecting to?

6. wickedawesome31 macrumors member

I bought a used airport extreme on ebay for $80 and it was in great condition and works perfectly. 802.11n is lightning fast, and I use it for my apple tv and wireless networking.

Im almost positive that the laptops do not have to be 802.11n capable because one of my brother has a 2 year old Dell notebook and it works smoothly with the airport.

The only place I had to install the disk was on my desktop, and my brother's laptops were able to switch to the router very easily.

If you can afford the airport extreme, I highly recommend it!