wireless is ridiculously slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LApple24, Mar 15, 2009.

1. LApple24 macrumors newbie

I am on a macbook. my wireless was pretty decent during winter break but when i come back for spring break, it is ridiculously slow. the signal strength is completely full, but its almost dial up slow. my wireless on my iphone is blazing. can anyone please help me?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I have been experiencing the same thing. I wish there was a way to fix it, but I don't think there is. I think it's a Airport firmware issue, since from my experience, Macs (at least ones with an Airport Extreme card) don't really play well with routers that aren't dual band. My theory is that when a "n (5GHz)" router has to drop down to "g (2.4GHZ)" to accommodate other devices (iphone, other laptops, etc.) then the macbook freaks out and keep the same level of performance with the network.

3. LApple24 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh man.. does anyone else have any advice/solutions? please??

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Getting a dual band router would probably solve it, since macbooks play very well in a 5GHz band, and very badly when it has to share the 2.4GHz band. I'm planning on getting one of the new Airport Extreme Base Stations soon, since those have dual band now.

5. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Definitely try upgrading your routers firmware.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

If you're on Time Warner, that could be the problem. My Time Warner internet speed slows down in the evening. They suck.

7. stevo8 macrumors 6502

8. GrannieSmith macrumors newbie

Strange

I use a four year old Linksys router that is nothing more than a big POS (and is definitely running the old wireless band), my husband's laptop uses the same router at the same time, and we have TWC - and my Mac runs circles around his PC.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

9. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

So long as you upgrade the firmware consistently as updates are released your router could easily perform just as good as a current model with the same band. My WRT54GS was going so very, very slow last week but after upgrading the firmware I jumped from 1.2mb to 3.1mb download. :D

10. LApple24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i have time warner cable, and i am using a belkin wireless g router. it wasnt this slow two months ago, it's really annoying. how do you upgrade the firmware? i remember using an install cd on my desktop, and my macbook just got the wireless after i entered the WEP key. this is very frustrating.