Wireless is SKETCHY!!! Help?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TimO16, May 30, 2009.

1. TimO16 macrumors newbie

Ok,
    I've got a D-Link 2.4 ghz wireless G router hooked up to the family's modem and dell desktop downstairs.

I've got a decent size house, and the signal the router puts out is weak in many areas, and the range kind of sucks. (Especially in my room upstairs over the garage on the other side of the house...)

My situation is this: I want a SEAMLESS wireless network for the house that is reliable in all areas, especially in my room. (Where I keep my mid-2008 MBP/xbox 360/etc...)

Options? YOU tell me what's best. With a budget of around $150 dollars.

(1) Get a wireless apple airport extreme base station or some other wireless N router, and kick my d-link to the curb.
    -Will this necessarily extend range to my room, solve other signal problems?

(2) Get a apple airport wireless express, and use it as a wireless repeater for the signal coming from the d-link in the downstairs office and put it somewhere in my room.
    -Not sure if and how this would work...

(3) Buy something like this, and put one in the office, and one in my room.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
    -Not too familiar with the reliability of something that would use ac outlets, and power lines...

(4) Give your own suggestion!!!

Comment on 1,2, or 3 if you can! Or leave a 4th!
    If someone could help me get to the bottom of this, make a decision, and get a good wireless network in this house, IT WOULD BE GREATTT!!!
    Thanks.:D

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The airport express will only extend an existing airport-based network, so it won't work with your d-link. The main reason I bought an AEBS was because it improved the range from my Linksys WRT54G. I don't have any experience with Ethernet Over Powerline products.