Wireless issue/could be hardware?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PolySciSurfer, Aug 9, 2009.

1. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

My new MBP seems to be losing it's internet connection via wireless, periodically and randomly. It usually lasts about a minute, sometimes less or more and then re connects. The wireless meter at the top of the screen shows no effect. But the programs will show that the internet has disconnected.

For example, when using Adium, all accounts will suddenly need to re connect.

In safari, the page simple won't load, it continuously says "loading".

But again, the wireless signal indicator still says full, and has no effect during these down times.

Could this be a hardware issue? Software? Anyone else experiencing this?

I am almost certain it's not the router, because I am using the campus internet, and it's stellar.

2. jjo macrumors member

jjo

My Macbook Pro 13 has serious wi-fi issues when running OSX. When I bootcamp into Vista, it works fine.

During the download the 10.5.8 update recently, my download speeds varied from 400 kbps down to 12 kbps, then back up to 400, then down to dial-up speeds.

I've noticed during other sessions, too. Speed tests often give me poor results when in OSX.

Very odd. Since the wi-fi works fine in good 'ol Windows, it's gotta be a software problem with OSX.

3. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

For the last couple days I've been having son Wifi issues on my new 15" MBP

4. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

My new 13" MBP is having troubles too! It will load a webpage just fine but it takes it another 5-10 seconds to open up any pictures on a webpages and sometime it wont open them at all!

5. cliffrockshire macrumors newbie

I am having this exact same problem. It seems to only be on my home router. If I use the one next door to me, I don't notice a problem. This leads me to believe it is a router issue. I have a similar thread going talking about this same issue. It doesn't make much sense. Anyone able to work this out yet?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

On my penryn non unibody macbook pro my wifi drops out every so often and doesn't work at all when the lid is closed (and i'm using an external monitor). I want to attribute it to the environment but all my other devices and other plastic computers work fine. In the future though i'm either going to have everything wired or a cisco based low power N network throughout the house with multiple access points so I can just get a clean signal wherever i'm at.

7. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know I'm not the only one. Anyone come up with anything yet?

8. jjo macrumors member

jjo

I read somewhere (else) that someone thought it was a WPA vs WPA2 issue. That person said WPA2 seems to work better with the MacBook Pro's wi-fi.

Another person mentioned this issue only appears when running on battery power.

I switched my Linksys router to WPA2, and I thought it helped, but I now don't think so.

It has to be an issue with OSX, since, like I said above, it works well when I bootcamp into Vista.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

10. jjo macrumors member

jjo

11. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it does it on and off the power brick in my case. So the "only on battery power" I don't think fits. But I don't know, anyone else? Does it just happen on battery or plugged in as well?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. IP conflicts

2. interference

3. try sending data to another computer on the local network when its slow, if it goes at the full speed it normally does then you know its your browser

:)

i actually have the same problem, its not the OS nor the interference.. probably OSX lol..

13. jjo macrumors member

jjo

All my other devices work great on my wi-fi network. And, the black Macbook I replaced worked like a charm--all on the same networking hardware.

Only this new Macbook Pro 13 has issues.

And, to top it off, it only has issues when running OSX. Vista on this machine (when in bootcamp) works like a charm.

I'll be taking it to work tomorrow to try it on that network. If it happens there, too, it's the Macbook. And since a plethora of other users are experiencing this issue (just peruse the Apple support forums), it's gotta be an Apple issue.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

my whole house has "slow down" periods, 5 year old iBook, 2 year old iMac, my MBP (all 10.5.7), funnily enough i dont think my hackintosh has problems (10.5.4)... odd

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

All wireless connection issues I've had while using a Mac have either been relieved or increased them depending on the version of the OS.

10.4.8 was the most stable it's ever been on my MBP. 10.4.10 on my iMac. (Both the current release at the time of purchase). 10.5.7 has been acceptable for both, and I don't want to move to 10.5.8 just yet in case it worsens and everything else was produced ho-hum internet quality.
    My iBook's connectivity is always good using 10.3.9 but "b" doesn't give much range and a 1 Ghz PPC, isn't good for much other than text on the web.

It's always been a giant mystery to me, and countless new routers, configurations, and cable company visits, genius bar visits and hardware tests later have ruled out everything but the OS.

16. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it has something to do with the new version of Safari, but since people say they are having problems in firefox also, I'm not sure. Either way, this problem is really annoying.

Ex. "Oh this you tube video is great isn't guys? Oh wait... wait... wait..."

Annoying! I hope we can all figure this out. :confused:

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HAHA! yea its getting annoying..

the issue was happening when i was running Safari 3, so its not the app at all.. it has to be OSX...

or maybe...*soft voice* the internet is slowing down! :eek::eek:

google is probably backing up some data or something lol

18. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

*soft voice* she is getting old. Don't tell her I said that.:eek:

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nawww..

we need to make way for WWW2!! WWW1 is getting boring :rolleyes:

Arn:: get ready to make MR Advanced!

20. raquetta macrumors newbie

I'm Having the same problems with my Macbook 13" too. I also since I upgraded to 10.5.8. My Finder quits unexpectedly all the time probably every 30' or if I tried to search inside of a Finder window, it'll quit too. AND I'm having two finder folders on my dock, no idea how to fix it.. but all this things start right after I upgraded.

It's really annoying :mad:

21. iJiten macrumors member

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its not just a 10.5.8 issue, im running 10.5.7 and it happens to me aswell (also happened to 10.5.5).

23. MakkuSushi macrumors newbie

Well that's kind of my problem.. I have the Mac at my house, [macbook white2,1] and i just started getting this slow internet problem recently [few days ago] when i go through pictures it load VERY SLOWLY as well as Youtube videos.

I need this fixed so badly, i hate leaving things unfixed.

and I updated to 10.5.8 too.

24. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

As to the power cord on or off question... It happens to wether it is plugged in or not... I installed an older version on safari and had the same problem (so not the new browsers fault) I installed firefox and same problem... I hooked directly into the router and all is fixed! thats what my experience is like!

25. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I have a 17" MBPU and my wife has a 13" MBU.
    Both machines could suddenly not find the wireless network, whereas our Imac could.
    Now they seem to be on and off sporadically, and the connection is slower than as per normal.

I really hope we get a fix for this from Apple, whatever the problem may be ...