Wireless Issue - MBP i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melodeath, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I'm having an issue with my 15" i7 MBP. I have to periodically turn off AirPort and turn it back on to regain my wireless connection.

All of a sudden, every couple of days maybe, the bars for Airport will be illuminated, but I wont have any internet. If I turn off Airport and turn it right back on, the internet works fine again. Is anyone else having this issue?

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Ditto, its been reported on other threads as well. I don't think I've ever had wifi bars lit up and not been connected, but I will drop connection entirely about once per day. Turning Airport off/on fixes the problem.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hmm. I've only had my 15" i7 for just over 24 hours now but I've been running it solely on wifi since I booted it up without any problems. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

4. pkmonockus macrumors newbie

pkmonockus

i have had this same problem with my 2007 macbook since new and is very annoying. apple replaced my wireless card but made no difference - in the end i gave up and just learnt to live with it. my advice is to replace the entire macbook!

5. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh! This is annoying! It's at least every couple days if not more often.

6. dr4g0n macrumors member

I'm getting similar behavior on early 2008 MBP since quite some time. The funny thing - it never happens on Win 7 via Bootcamp, but only on OS X - especially when I'm using Transmission. About 2 weeks ago I bought i7 MBP and everything was fine for one week... But occasionally it also happens on the new one (once a week?). So my guess is something wrong with the router. I'm starting to be more sure of that after putting two mbps online at the same time. Connection was dead like 2 minutes after that for both. I can use Transmission on new one without problem for the most time unlike it was on the old one. I would like to do some more testing with different configurations (and maybe not Apple one) but thats out of reach for me right now.

So to sum it up. Maybe check with another router? If the behavior doesn't change, you can rule out that cause and search further.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I run a Mac Pro, Powermac, PowerBook, and MBP off my airport extreme network. I can verify this issue does not affect any other machines besides my 13" Early 2009 MBP.

Edit: I have attached screenshots of my network stats from Activity Monitor for two separate instances that the wifi has dropped.

Attached Files:

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have no issues at all with any of my Mac Products.

2007 Santa Rosa MBP
    2008 Unibody MBP
    2010 i7 MBP

No issues at all on my Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme router.

9. Bucknut macrumors newbie

10. tworth23 macrumors regular

Having same issue, seems to be router configs!!!!

Guys,
    After having problems periodically losing internet connection on my new i7 15 inch macbook pro I figured out the following. Having a full wifi signal while using a belkin N plus wireless router, I tried changing from using Wpa2 to wpa encryption, without success. I then tested my macbook after turning off the wireless security on my router and I no longer lost internet connectivity. Similarly, I added mac address control and turned off displaying my ssid and have been successful for the past week without losing connection. I have not tried wep security but will try soon. Apparently, the macbook may have a problem with wpa2 or wpa security on my router

11. dr4g0n macrumors member

Today I got the same behavior: wifi dead although the icon was still at full strength of signal. After maybe... 1 minute? everything went back to normal. While the connection was dead, i couldn't ping my router and also the icon of its wifi connection was blinking regularly... I don't know what's happening... but I'm gonna test tworth23's solution.

12. gordonyz macrumors member

Are you using at&t's 2wire adsl MODEM+Router?

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Not I. People are reporting issues with all different combinations of routers. The only similarity is the MBP.

14. dr4g0n macrumors member

Neither am I ;) I'm using cable provider and Linksys router to get wifi.

15. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I use wireless exclusively and I've yet to run into any problems. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

16. PAC88 macrumors 6502

My g4 did this at least once per day both at home and on my campus.. sometimes not reconnecting for several minutes, I no longer use that notebook. Now my sisters macbook pro does the exact same thing.