Wireless issue when MacBook closed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mbleopard, Sep 30, 2010.

1. mbleopard macrumors regular

I have a late 2008 unibody macbook connected to a brand new Samsung monitor via a displayport to DVI cable and everything works great until I shut my macbook. The external monitor continues to work fine but my wireless seems to lose connection, my desk is approximately 15 feet from a wireless repeater and Airport appears to have a full signal but it will act as if there is a bad connection until I open my macbook back up and then the internet works fine.

I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that some displayport to DVI cables do not have sufficient shielding therefore interfering with the wireless signal but if that was the issue it should be effecting the wireless signal at all times, not just when the macbook is closed.

If anyone has any advice or tips it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. chill. macrumors 6502

well, the obvious test to see if the DVI cable has any effect is to unplug the external monitor and open/close the macbook to see if you lose wireless connection. activate clamshell via an external keyboard/mouse, and log onto instant messenger to see if you disconnect from the internet or something

otherwise, i believe you have a faulty wireless card