Wireless issue with i7 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wizdan, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Wizdan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I seem to have a little bit of a problem with my wireless. Most of the time it works fine, but then there'd be some moments where it'd just crawl for ~30 seconds and do nothing.

I've tried many things to fix the issue including changing routers, moving closer to the routers and a myriad of different things, however, I believe it's a problem with the Macbook.

It's most noticeable in Skype, where the incoming audio begins to stutter quite heavily. Curiously, I seem to have found a way to 'make' the wireless act up, and I would appreciate it if anyone else could try it on a similar system (MBP i7 15) to see if it's just me.

1) Open Skype and begin a call, (the Skype call testing number would work fine.)

2) While someone is talking, click on the AirPort icon on the Status bar (where you get a list of available wireless networks in range).

3) Almost immediately, once that drop down menu is open, and the computer begins to search for other networks (while I'm connected to mine), the audio begins to stutter heavily.

I have no idea what's going on and even if there's a way to fix the issue. I'd appreciate any help or pointers into this problem.

Thanks,

Daniel

2. reeley macrumors newbie

I have very similar issues, and have the same problem on my the Apple MACs and Windows PCs in the house. Bought new router, same problem. So, no Virgin (my ISP) are coming to the house to try and determine why the internet keeps dropping me. Perhaps you have a similar issue, perhaps it is the internet dropping.

I did try using a different DNS to the ISP ( I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and that did not make an iota of difference. The only thing that seemed to help was 'ahem' finding and using an unsecured wireless nearby. It was that success that convinced me that the problem lies with my ISP, and not with my internal setup at home.

3. Wizdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I really believe the issue lies with the Mac, as the other computers on the network (Macs & PCs) aren't affected by the same thing.

The issue that really gets to me is how Skype messes up when the AirPort status indicator is clicked... Really puzzling.

- Dan

4. cookieronster macrumors member

This has been happening with all of my macs from my iPad to my i7 mbp. It is by far the worst on the i7 though. I always have to restart my router when I wake up my mbp from sleep. And then this MSG pops up about another computer being connected to the network already?

5. Wizdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, that is odd. This is actually my second MBP, after the 1st one failed to remember my wireless router. Madness.

Seeing as you have an i7 too, could you try to reproduce the Skype issue above as mentioned in the first post?

We might benefit from knowing if it's another issue we share.

-Dan

Update: Do either of you have any issues using the Macbook on your lap? If I sit with it on my lap it won't change page (i.e. follow a link or address) until I either lift it away from me, or place it down beside me...

6. cookieronster macrumors member

unforunately i can't reproduce the skype issue:confused:

7. Wizdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, thanks for trying. :)

In addition to what I posted as an update, 5 mins ago I had to place the Mac on a desk after I got dropped from my IM client 3 times in 5 minutes. I return to the desk and absolutely fine.

Clearly there's something wrong with my wireless card, and/or the antenna.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

weird, we literally just had our router die, it was like 6 years old, and no computer in my house could connect to the network except my mac (the only mac) and i have a 4 way chat going in skype and a video chat going in ichat, plus i was browsing the web with music playing >_< and i have had no issues, also running a 2010 macbook pro 2.66 ghz i7, and to add to all this we moved our new router out of the basement and moved it upstairs, i am not over 100 feet away in a separate building with about 70-90% of my max download speed, so basically 4-13 mb/s vs 14.6 mb/s at max when i am right beside, it may be a macbook issue or it may be and internet provider issue, i recommend you plug directly into the internet box via ethernet cable, if it still happens then its your provider, and if it stops then its your macbook pro thats how we figured out our router died, we went from 14.6 mb/s to 0.27 mb/s right beside the router, also visit www.speedtest.net and try running network tests in different rooms, and areas, you will learn a lot about your network =D

9. Wizdan thread starter macrumors newbie

I gave your suggestions a try, TopHat, but the issue seems to be with the wireless on this Macbook only. Ethernet works fine, as does the wireless on other computers within the house.

It's also quite weird at how the internet crawls every so often whenever the computer is on my lap...

I think a trip down to see a genius is in order...

Thanks, guys.

10. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Have you tried to update your router's firmware?

11. Wizdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I tried that. I even tried different routers.

The issue definitely lies within the Macbook itself... perhaps a faulty antenna, or AirPort card...