Wireless Issues on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nightscape94, Jul 11, 2011.

1. nightscape94 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some difficulty with a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 with relationship to my iMac. I'm running OS X 10.6.8.

I originally ran the CD and set up the wireless connection (it's an all-in-one modem with a built-in wireless router). The WPA worked and everything was fine.

A couple of hours later the connection didn't work any longer. I re-entered the WPA after selecting my network from the list but it kept saying "connection failed". I tried running the CD again and entered the same WPA, which I never changed, but the connection is not working.

I made sure to check the provider connection itself, and all the lights on the modem are working. I ran the disk a third time but this time chose the ethernet connection which I then set up. The internet connection is running fine with ethernet.

I am not sure how to completely start from scratch. I'm assuming I have to uninstall the drivers for the modem but cannot figure out how to do that (I'm only sort-of computer savvy). I'm looking in documents and my applications folder but I don't see anything for the modem that I can either uninstall or delete.

As mentioned, the provider connection itself working fine with ethernet, but the network I originally created is just sitting there in my available network list I just can't connect with wireless. "Connection Failed" is the continued message I receive.

Is there anyone with experience with this in general, or with the motorola modem I mentioned? I know that the modem has its own IP address with all the details but I don't know what I'm looking for to figure out the source of the issue.

Any help?

Thanks
    Tim

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do NOT use the Windows only disk that came with the modem! Follow these steps:

1. Turn of the modem.

2. Connect your modem via and Ethernet cable so you can connect to it.

3. Turn the modem back on and make sure it connects to your ISP server (it get all the connection lights).

4. On your Mac open System Preferences->Network. Then click on the Ethernet connection and look for the 'router' IP and copy it down.

5. Still on your Mac open your favorite browser and put only that IP in the browser's address bar and go to the modem setup. This way you will go to the modem's configuration wiki and configure it the way you want to setup the modem.

If you setup the wireless you can setup in the way you want to connect to it.