Wireless issues on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rpearlberg, Apr 15, 2015.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

My MBP loses it's wireless signal and the pages just freeze. If I turn off wifi and turn it back on it will work again for a while, but then stop. This only happens sometimes. My phone, iPad, and other MacBook Air seem to work fine. I brought it to Apple and they let it run overnight and said they had no issues. Could it be a problem with my home network, even though all of the other devices are fine? I have it with me at work today to see if it has the same problems. Is there any program that I can run while here to see if it drops the signal, or just use it like I normally do at home and see if the issue happens.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have long complained that Yosemite has wifi issues. Are you running on Yosemite? It could be that then a hardware problem.

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think so...Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

So what should I do? Can I go back to before Yosemite? Or just deal with the issue for now...

Is it just that it doesn't like my home router? I don't seem to have the problem here at work, at least not yet. And Apple ran it overnight and didn't have any problems.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

10.9 is Mavericks, not Yosemite. Yosemite is 10.10

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, so my issue is something else! I've been using at work this morning with no problems so far...

I just don't know why the other devices work fine at home...

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The first troubleshooting step I'd try is to delete all known networks, reset network preferences, and add networks one by one as you use them.

7. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, what's the best way to delete them all and reset preferences?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not on a mac at the moment (at work) and I can't provide exact instructions from memory, but a quick google search would easily turn up instructions.

9. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wifi worked fine all day at work, but now that I'm home it's not working. I'm on my iPad and my wife is on her Air and both are working fine.

So frustrating!!

10. TangoCharlie27 macrumors member

try a different browser. Strangely since using Firefox, I've not had those issues.

11. Jean-F. macrumors newbie

No suggestion. My wife says that she has the same problem. At the same time that The Ipads 'see' the wifi signals, her very recent MBP lose unexpectidly the same signal. She reboot and most of the time it is working, but not always. I suspect a software issue more than a hardware issue. I will pass on the On-off solution.

12. 3568358 macrumors 6502

1. Update to El Capitan
    2. Remove all known networks
    3. Verify Disk Permissions

From what you told me, those things might help. Do them in order :)

This issue happens when what?? Just browsing? When you're AFK? On any particular site? Sites with flash player? Sites with ads? Are you using ad block? What browser? does it happen at certain times of the day??

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Next time this happens (when it's happening) try to diagnose what's causing the error. Here are some commands you can run in terminal (while it's not working) and what they mean in relation to the failure.

Code:
    arp -a | head  -n1 | cut -d\( -f2 | cut -d \) -f1 | xargs ping -c5
    If the output is "5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received" then the problem isn't the WiFi per-se - your computer can access your network fine, so go to 2. If you see "request timed out" then there is a problem with the WiFi itself. You don't need to bother with any more tests here. If you get any other errors with this command, then your computer doesn't have a default router, which suggests it is losing its IP address.

Code:
    ping -c5 google.co.uk 
    If you see "5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received" again, then it's the browser at fault (your internet connection is fine). If you see "5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received" then there is likely a firewall or something causing the problem. If you see no route to host, then there is likely an issue with your WiFi hardware or your router. If you get "Unknown host", go to 3.

Code:
    ping -c5 62.252.169.177
    If you see "5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received", your issue is DNS related so go to 4. If you get any other output, then your computer can't access the internet at all.

Code:
    nslookup google.co.uk
    This will test your default DNS server. If this command fails, go to 5. If the command works OK, then we need to do some more diagnostics with OS X's resolver.

Code:
     nslookup google.co.uk 8.8.8.8
    This will test a DNS lookup with a different DNS server. If this works but 4 doesn't, you need to change your DNS server to something more reliable.

These aren't fixes, but should give us more of an idea of what's actually going wrong.

14. 3568358 macrumors 6502

Brain proved an excellent post. Follow his steps, they're very easy to understand!