Wireless Issues (Verizon DSL)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FadeToBlack, Mar 6, 2008.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I switched to Verizon DSL a few days ago, the main reason being that they provide a wireless router/modem combo and I like that better than having a separate router/modem. Ever since hooking it all up, though, I'm having a very annoying issue. Before I describe that, though, I should probably tell you how I have everything set up.

I don't have a phone jack in my room, so I have the modem hooked up in the living room and just access everything wirelessly, on both my iMac and iBook and also on an Xbox 360.

Well, my issue is, all day the wireless will work perfect, then I'll go to bed and when I wake up, it won't work. Any computer I use will see the network fine, but won't connect to it. I get the "Connection Timeout" error.

Well, when this happens, all I have to do is go in the living room and flip the power off on the router and turn it back on, then everything will work perfect again until I wake up the next day.

Very odd issue. I figured I'd ask you guys here to see what you think before I call tech support.

The router I have is the Westell Versalink 327W.

If anyone has any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Either the modem is sleeping, use the evil PPPoE, or overheats. Call tech support.

TEG

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Modem is sleeping? How would I stop it from doing that?

I don't think it's overheating, as it's in a well-ventilated area.

I'm trying to avoid calling Tech Support right now, as I really HATE calling Tech Support.

If you have any other suggestions, please help. I really don't wanna call Tech Support. :p

4. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the link. I actually read a bit on there when I googled about it earlier. I try not to join new forums that often, because a lot of the time, people will be rude and just tell you to do a google search.

I searched those forums, though, and couldn't find anything. Seems like a pretty huge site, though, and if I don't get an answer here, I'll either sign up on there or call Tech Support.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

6. FDX macrumors regular

Do you have the westell router?

If you do go to maintenance, the remote access and disable timeout.

7. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Where's maintenance located?

8. FDX macrumors regular

9. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I see 6 tabs: Main, Wireless Settings, My Network, Firewall Settings, Advanced, and System Monitoring.

I clicked through 'em and I can't find a Maintenance section. Maybe yours is set up different than mine.

My router is a Westell 327W.

10. FDX macrumors regular

11. FDX macrumors regular

If it does make sure disable timeout is checked, mine was doing what you described yours as until I disabled timeout.

12. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

That link didn't work, but I found the preferences and disabled timeout, so hopefully this will work. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when I wake up.

Thanks so much for the help! :)

13. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to bump the thread. :p

When I woke up today, it did the same thing it usually does, so I went to reset the modem. Well, it still wouldn't connect, so I went back in the living room and hooked up my iBook to it with an ethernet cable and changed that timeout setting back to the default and it's now working.

I'm not sure what's up with this. I'm probably gonna end up having to call Tech Support. :(

Update - Verizon DSL just plain flat-out sucks. I give up. Back to cable for me. Luckily, I hadn't cancelled my account with Suddenlink.