Wireless Issues with ALL my Apple products

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mpmarcus, Jan 18, 2011.

1. mpmarcus macrumors newbie

I own three Apple products:

MacBook Pro
    iPad
    iPhone

They all disconnect from wireless networks after between 5-30 minutes of use....this happens regardless of which wireless network I connect to. I have tried changing the wireless channel (I am currently living in Europe, dunno if this may be part of the issue). The only solution is to manually turn off the wireless radios and turn them back on, which is getting very annoying...

I'm pretty sure its not a router issue b/c as I said, these computers do the same thing in coffee shops, libraries, etc. Also, they are all up to date with software/firmware.

Also, I did not experience this same problem in the US...has this happened to anybody or are there any ideas about a solution?

Thanks!

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Honestly, there is nothing about what you described that makes sense. I could see one device not holding onto a wireless connection but not all three and them being completely different devices AND on multiple routers. Ive had similar issues with Apple devices and a particular Linksys router whereas the DHCP lease time was set too short, but this was purely a router issue.

I would reset network settings on the iPhone and iPad, and try deleting all the wireless connections on the MBP.

I somewhat suspect you are exaggerating about the issue a little bit, because there is no logical reason this would be happening with all three devices. Then again never being to Europe there might be something different with routers over there.

3. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Does this happen when the iDevices are asleep or awake?

5. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

6. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

7. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

I dont know about the mainland, but in England there are different rules for wireless devices. I dont know the specifics off hand, but I think it has to do with the frequencies in use.

So the Wireless router that you buy over in America will be functionally different than the one in England.

Where or not this is the issue remains to be see, but you are correct that somethings are different.

8. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Being curious myself I started comparing what I could find. Other than voltages on the power adapters there is are differences in electronics between European routers and American. The only reference I could find about laws and/or rules was something regarding output power, but I am assuming that changing the country code in the router settings would take care of that.

So back to square one... we would need more specifics in order to figure out anything. Being three different devices on multiple routers (I would assume different models) makes this just plain weird.

9. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

The hardware itself shouldn't be any different. And upon a little bit further research, apparently I was mistaken a little bit. It is not the frequencies that are different, it is the allowed channels that are different. So the 2.4 or 5ghz routers are still the same in all countries, but the available channels are different.

10. bigjobby macrumors 65816

The problem may not be a user error. I had a problem with my MBP and ATV where for some reason my router's DHCP was issuing already assigned IPs to my Apple units. Because of the IP clashes, it also knocked out my other two devices (Wii and phone). All resolved by assigning the Apple devices with static IPs.