Wireless iStorm Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebony, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ebony macrumors regular

Now this is probably a stupid question... but I'm quite new to the mac world.

I have a new iMac, and wanted to get itunes music into the conservatory without any wires.

If I purchase a set of iStorm wireless speakers ( link below ), do I just turn the wirless feature on, on the speakers, then turn aiport on the imac on, and then the speakers appear as a network connection in the airport settings ?

Please can someone explain to a very confused user ?

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iSTORM-Powe...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1182022424&sr=8-18

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

no you need to buy an airport express adapter too.

Which basically means the airport express is needed to get wireless but you can also use any speakers that have an internal amp.

3. ebony thread starter macrumors regular

So my imac speaks to my router which speaks wirelessley to the airport express, which can speak wirelessley to the speakers ?

Thanks.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No Airport Express would be your router i believe has a standard headphone jack in it so that you could plug any computer speaker into it and it would play, although it sounds as if you could have the Air Port Express speak directly to the speakers so it would be:

iMac speaks to Airport, Airport speaks to Speakers

5. ebony thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, just wanted to be sure that there does not have to be any wires between the speakes and the airport express.

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

there are wires from the aiport express (its this) to the speakers.

so if you have wireless setup.
    imac wireless to wireless router
    wireless router to airport express
    airport express to speakers via cable(s)

7. ebony thread starter macrumors regular

I see, thanks.

So the wireless bit of the speakers just means that the left speaker has no wires to the right speaker.

I may as well just buy some normal powered speakers.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you read This Review it seems to indicated differently, they wouldn't advertise that they could connect to Airport Extreme's wirelessly, unless it was directly wirelessley without an audio cable. Obviously if someone had first hand knowledge that would be much better but judging by what the speaker claims it could do you would think it could in fact connect without an audio cable. If you own an Airport Extreme I would advise that you get some other speakers, they wouldnt have the dual-use of iPod/Mac without unplugging as these do, but it would probably be a much better value.

9. sefton74 macrumors newbie

I have a pair of these and let me say firstly they are excellent speakers and great value at £79 from Amazon. The set up is as previosuly indicated, however, if you get an airport express with a US plug adaptor the airport express plugs straight into the back of the speakers and draws its power from the speakers. You still need an audio wire to connect the express to the speakers but as this is all at the back of the speakers you won't see it and only needs to be a few inches long. The left and right speakers are connected via a cable. Therefore the only true 'wireless' part of it is the airport express to the router to the computer.