Wireless Keyboard (2nd Gen), has this been released?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 29, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Anyone know if this has been released along with the Magic Mouse availability in the stores and shipment?

2. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yes - they've been out for ages.

[EDIT] ^ My mistake, & I apologise - they're not out yet ^

3. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

'

Huh?

I thought the new wireless keyboard is brand new. 2nd generation one. That takes 2 batteries instead of 3...more efficient in power management etc.

Am I missing something here?

4. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

No, you're not.

I'm not sure if retail stores have them yet, but the website originally said 5-7 days, then 7-10 days, and now it says two weeks. I ordered mine through Amazon, so I'm a little upset about this.

Anyone have any ideas why it's taking so damn long? The magic mouse ships in "5-7 days" and retail stores already have them...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe this one won't disconnect every 5 minutes.

6. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Really?. I'm sure I haven't heard of that before.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Never had any issues with my BT keyboard - I love it.

As far as the OP -

You can tell if it is the newest keyboard by checking the number of batteries required.

If 3 = older version
    If 2 = new version (announced on the 20th)

Cheers.

8. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Simple... elegant... slim... beautiful, but most important, performs the functionality for which it is intended, with no extra guff or fuss.

I must admit I am of the same school of thought as Jonathan Ive (for those who don't know of him, he has been chief designer at Apple for many years) in that an indicator should only be there when something is being signified, and invisible when it it is no longer relevant.

For those who don't know how the Apple wireless keyboard LED appears/disappears as if by magic, if you look VERY closely at the LED when illuminated, you will notice microscopic holes which have been drilled using a precision laser; just enough holes to let the light through, but also few enough so that the area becomes relatively invisible when the indicator is off. Genius!.

Puts paid to the possible theory that Apple have discovered transparent aluminium:
    http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Transparent_aluminum

9. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I'd get a wireless keyboard buy I use the numeric key pad constatly. Whist they gave you and option to buy a wireless one with it (even if I had to fork out 20-30 bucks more, I'd get one)