wireless keyboard and battery life

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brettanderson, Nov 13, 2007.

1. brettanderson macrumors member

I bought my new wireless keyboard 1 month ago and the batteries that came with it have already died.

the keyboard is hooked up to my MBP. Sometimes my MBP is left on over night as well. And I didn't use the keyboard at all for a week and half out of the four weeks.

What kind of battery life are other people getting?

How do I know if my keyboard is going into power save mode?

Or is properly turned off?

2. atarin macrumors regular

I have had both the wireless mighty mouse and the wireless keyboard for three months now, connected to my iMac. I leave my iMac on 24/7, and I got about two months out of the original batteries for the mighty mouse, and I'm still on the original batteries for the keyboard (3 months so far, only two bars gone). The mighty mouse seems to use batteries up faster, but maybe I just use the mouse more than the keyboard?

I don't think your batteries should have died so soon, based on my experience, but I'm not using it for a laptop. Perhaps there is a difference in how the keyboard works in that setup. I suppose you could just turn the keyboard off from the bottom when you're not using it. Maybe that would preserve battery life. I honestly don't know how to tell if it is in power save mode.

Didn't cheap batteries come with the keyboard? Maybe you just got bad batteries. See how it goes after replacing the batteries with a brand you trust.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'm using rechargeables and have so far gotten around 2 months out of my mighty mouse and a little less from the keyboard...

4. darthmullet macrumors member

I got the new wireless keyboard with leopard on release day. I'm still 5/5 bars with the batteries it came with (6-8+ hours a day of use).

5. speekez macrumors 6502

Still going .....

I have both the wireless mouse and keyboard. I use my system everyday, often for many hours each night. I bought the system in March. I'm still using the original batteries that came with the keyboard. The mouse batteries I need to change about every month or so -- but I use it heavily.

I rarely remember to shut both off.

6. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Speaking of 'shut off', does the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse go to sleep after inactivity, or should I always tell them to sleep manually (holding the power button in on the keyboard and closing the mouse sensor switch).

In other words, would I get better battery life manually telling them to sleep, or can I just leave them alone like I do with the Mac itself?

The mighty mouse switch is a bit awkward and I'd prefer to to keep flicking it everyday....

7. atarin macrumors regular

I keep my iMac on 24/7 and I have never turned off the keyboard (the mouse gets turned off only to change the batteries, and that will probably be the only time I will turn off the keyboard). They both seem to go to sleep with the computer.

8. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Thanks Atarin :)

9. atarin macrumors regular

You're welcome, RemarkabLee! :)

10. CuriousB macrumors newbie

My battery is horrible

My rechargeable batteries last 2 days in my keyboard and my wireless track pad lasts 3 days. Why?