Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebtacular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 without stock bluetooth / airport so I bought a CSR bluetooth 4/3/2/1 usb dongle to use with my new Magic mouse and keyboard. Every time I set my mac to sleep I am un-able to wake it using the keyboard or mouse or even with the power button on my 2006 cinema display. When I use the button on the cinema display I can hear the hard drive spin but it seems to give up after 5 or so seconds. When I do wake it, the mouse re-pairs after about 10 seconds and the keyboard takes a lengthy minute or two. This is really really frustrating. They work perfectly as keyboards / mice once they are paired again. Any suggestions? Please help me :'(

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What OS X version are you working with? There are known issues with USB/Sleep on some OS X versions. It's possible what you are seeing is more of a USB sleep problem than anything else.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The USB ports are unpowered during sleep mode. So your Bluetooth USB adapter isn't even powered in order to be able to communicate with the keyboard and mouse.

I have a little USB-powered light and it won't turn on if the computer is in sleep mode.

The MP's built-in bluetooth solution does stay powered in sleep, as many people wake their computers with mouse/keyboard that way. In fact I remember some people had bad bluetooth reception for their mouse/keyboard in the Mac Pro, so they got a USB dongle to improve reception, but then lost the ability to wake from sleep using kb/mouse.

So I'd say you have a few choices:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, that's was I was thinking also, but wasn't 100% sure. I don't like making definitive statements based only on my own hunches. I thought that it may be the OS which controls weather or not the USB ports sleep. Is it a firmware/hardware thing?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The USB port must be powered at certain level during sleep, otherwise, even though the wired keyboard / mouse will not be able to wake up the computer, isn't it?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The USB port must be powered at certain level during sleep, otherwise, even though the wired keyboard / mouse will not be able to wake up the computer, isn't it?

That's a good point, yes. But I just double-checked now, and in sleep mode my USB lamp still won't illuminate, my wired mouse goes dark, and my iPhone stops charging. The mouse will still wake it up though.

So I can only speculate that there are multiple power levels and OP's bluetooth dongle needs the higher power level to work.

sebtacular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
I am on 10.7.5.... this is really annoying me, for the record i can charge my pebble watch when it sleeps. I'm not sure where to buy a stock card could someone please point me in the right direction or link me to one? thanks for your help so far

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm not sure where to buy a stock card could someone please point me in the right direction or link me to one? thanks for your help so far

I have no personal experience with the MP 1,1 and have no idea if this will work, but here are instructions I've found, which include a part number:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Mac_Pro/Bluetooth_MacPro_install/Bluetooth_MacPro_install.html

If you search for the part number on Ebay, you'll find some.

That is a bluetooth 1.1 card. I don't think you can put anything newer in there though, as it appears to be a custom module.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.