Wireless keyboard and mouse or maybe wired???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maxap, Mar 9, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

I need your advice. Which keyboard/mouse in combination with your iMac are you going to buy?

Personally, I love the wireless stuff because it can be used without mess and wires on your desk, but on the other side the wireless input devices use batteries which need to be replaced regularly. I see that a lot of people buy their iMac with just wired keyboard and mouse.

Do you know how many batteries you will need to change in a year if you are going to buy a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse made by Apple?
    I would love to hear what you think about it from your experience.
    If I will have to spend a fortune buying new batteries/rechargeable batteries, then I guess I will cancel my order and order the wired stuff instead...

That's what I could find on the Apple website:
    "Question 2: How long will the batteries last?
    Answer: The Apple Wireless Keyboard can operate on the same set of alkaline batteries for up to nine months. The Apple Wireless Mouse can operate on the same set of lithium batteries for up to three months. How long the batteries last in the keyboard or mouse depends on what kind of batteries you use, how much you use the keyboard and mouse, and how old the batteries are."

Thx in advance...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That depends on how much you use them, of course. I use an Apple Wireless Keyboard and a Logitech VX Nano mouse with my MacBook Pro. I'm working on it, on average, 12-16 hours a day. My keyboard batteries last at least 6 months. My mouse batteries last 3-4 months. I would assume Apple's mouse uses about the same.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I like wired but I dunno why. Maybe because of my experience with Logicool products (the 2002 one below). For me it wasn't the battery issue so much... it was... but not as much as the connection problems. Connect, reconnect, some games or software would disconnect or reset the connection. Sometimes when cold-booting the connection could not be initially made. UG!
    [​IMG]

According to this: http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/apple-wireless-keyboard/4505-3134_7-30568482.html
    "Apple claims that you'll get up to nine months of life out of the four standard AA batteries that power the Wireless Keyboard. With other keyboards we tested, the battery life varied between three to six months, but those peripherals ran off of only two AA batteries."

According to this: http://www.macworld.com/article/52151/2006/08/btmightymouse.html
    "Apple offers no official estimate of battery life, the product manager says two batteries should last well over a month with normal usage..."

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, the Apple Wireless Keyboard uses 3 AA batteries, not 4. I have 6.7 months of use on my current batteries (yes, I keep a spreadsheet to remember when they're changed and how long they last.... all batteries I use), and they still have 55% charge remaining, according to iStat Pro.

I've never had a connection problem with either my Bluetooth keyboard or my USB mouse, with the smallest dongle on the market.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

As long as you keep your wireless KB and mouse within 15 feet of the iMac, you are not going to have connection problems. I think the reason a lot of people get the wired, it is a $30 upgrade to do the wireless. The batteries are a minimal expense for the less tangled mess and clutter free workspace.

I would definitely 100% recommend wireless Apple KB and wireless Mighty Mouse for your new iMac. Life's too short, have fun!

6. Ejg94 macrumors newbie

well i was going to get wireless, but you do not get the number pad on the side, and my mum needs it for her accounts package for simplicity but if you don't need that the wireless will be fine, my uncle has wireless and his hasnt been changed for 2 years... he goes on it for about an hour a night and his mac tells him everything is on high power, so i dont think you need to worry, especially when aa batteries cost about £1.50 $2